Chapter 13: Sleepless Night

I couldn't sleep that night. I spent all day trying to guess why Four was acting so strange earlier but every possibility I thought of seemed more unlikely than the last. So now I lay awake, staring at the ceiling, letting my mind wander.

It wasn't until Galen began snoring that I became fed up with just lying there. I sat up quietly, laced up my black boots, and threw on a jacket before leaving the dormitory. I didn't know where to go or why I even left but it felt nice to roam freely around the Dauntless compound as my mind explored thoughts about Four.

"What are you doing out of bed, (y/n)?"

Oh great, I thought to myself. I was thinking so much about Four that I was now imagining his voice. Maybe I should head back to bed....

I turned on my heel, ready to head back to the dormitory and ran into Four during the process.

"Oh!" I exclaimed in surprise. "Four, I didn't see you there."

He grinned at me. It was a shy sort of grin that once again reminded me of how young he really is. "You didn't hear me either?" he said gently.

I laughed softly before answering. "I did. Sort of. I thought I was hallucinating to be perfectly honest with you."

He laughed and I laughed too before we both got quiet. Then, hesitantly, he said, "So why are you out of bed?"

"I couldn't sleep?" I said. Staring into his dark eyes, I could see something lying just behind them. Something I couldn't put my finger on.

"Me neither," he whispered. "I was actually having a nightmare before I came out here."

"The Four? Having a nightmare?" I teased him, earning another small grin. "Aren't you supposed to be super intimidating and fearless?"

His smile faded before he said, "Everyone's afraid of something. What may seem harmless to you, could be something somebody fears the most."

"That was deep," I said in an attempt to lighten the mood. It worked. I got another smile, this one a bit broader than the last few.

"You should smile more," I said before I could stop myself. 

"I could say the same to you," he said, looking just as startled by the statement as I was. But it felt good to be open with Four which is an insane idea considering how little I know about him.

We both looked at each other awkwardly before smiling and turning away from each other. I didn't look back at him until I heard him laugh softly.

"What?" I asked.

"What am I doing?" he said, smiling fully at me.

"I'm sorry? I'm not following?" My eyebrows pulled together in confusion.

"It's nothing," he said, shaking his head. "Forget I said anything."

"No," I said defiantly, "You did the same thing this morning when you tried to tell me something and then cut yourself off. If you start something with me you'd best finish it."

"Do you want my full honesty?" He asked me.

"Um...when you put it like that, I suddenly become a lot more hesitant," I said, completely unsure of what was going on right now.

"It's nothing bad," he said, "It's just a lot to take in."

"Ok..." I said, waiting for him to continue.

"I was trying to figure out if I wanted to tell you something."

"Tell me what?" I asked, feeling the suspense building up.

"I can't tell you," he said. I made a noise of objection but he cut me off by saying, "At least not yet."

"What? You can't just tell someone that you want to tell them something and then not say what you were planning on saying!" I said, causing him to laugh.

"Oh yes, I can."

I growled my frustration and he continued. "Maybe I'll tell you later. But it's a lot to tell a person who barely knows you."

"Then let me get to know you," I said. I blushed after that one. Would he think I'm desperate now?

He looked at me with a somewhat shocked expression. "You want to get to know me?"

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I?" I said.

"Fine, if you want to get to know me, meet me at the pit tomorrow and I'll take you somewhere."

"Ok," I said lightly.

I now lay in my bed, staring up at the ceiling again. My mind and heart now racing a million miles per hour.