Chapter 5: First Day

I didn't get much sleep last night. Galen, who sleeps above me kept tossing and turning like he was having a nightmare and a few other people crying. But even though I didn't get much sleep, I find myself full of energy in the morning. We went to the cafeteria to eat breakfast a quite enjoyed it.

"How on Earth are you so energetic?" Galen whines at me.

I'm bouncing up and down lightly, "You just gotta hype yourself up."

"I'd rather not get punched in the face for being obnoxiously perky," he scowls at me.

I shrug, "I haven't been punched yet."

"That's only because you're a girl," he retorts.

"I doubt that," I respond quickly, "That doesn't seem to be something the Dauntless worry about."

Michael chimes in, "She's right you know. The Dauntless don't really care about gender here. A girl could just as easily whoop your ass."

"Are you suggesting that you think I'm gonna get my ass beat by a girl?" Galen challenges.

Michael looks over to me pointedly, "You never know."

Galen turns to me, "Would you beat me up?" He pouts.

I shrug and smile, "It could very well happen."

"No lie," Michael says nodding at me, "She was hiding a better build than I thought under those baggy clothes."

I look down at my much more revealing outfit. I'm wearing tight black pants, black Dauntless boots, and a tight black t-shirt. I'm definitely way more muscular than your average Abnegation. 

I shrug, "I've always been built like this."

Galen taps my shoulder and points over to the cafeteria doors. Standing right beside them is Eric and Four. At first glance they seem to be having a normal conversation, but after looking at them for a little while longer I notice Four is actually on edge. His fists clenched into fists at his sides, his jaw set, and his rigid stance made him look down right scary. As if he can feel my gaze on him he looks over to me. I quickly look away. 

Galen looks to me, "What do you think they're talking about?"

"I don't know," I respond, "But it doesn't matter right now. What matters is getting through initiation."

"Yep," Michael says, "If we don't make it through initiation we become Factionless."

I back over to Four and Eric to find that Eric has left. I look around to see if he's still in the cafeteria. He's not. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and look back at Four. He stands up on a chair and yells for the initiates' attention.

"All of the Transfers will follow me to the training room, all the Dauntless-borns will wait for instruction by Lauren," he steps off the chair and stands by the doors waiting for his initiates.

Me, Galen, and Michael are the first ones to him. I smile at Four and he smiles back and visibly relaxes. After everyone is finally here, he leads us down a series of hallways and into the training room.

In the training room is a bunch of targets and a table  by where you're supposed to stand. On the tables is a gun. A chill runs down my spine at the sight of the guns.

"Today you're going to learn how to shoot a gun and how to fight," Four says, "Any questions?"

John raises his hand, "Yeah. What does shooting a gun have to do with bravery?"

Lightning fast, Four pulls a gun from his belt in presses it to John's forehead.

"I have to be pretty brave to be able to pull the trigger," Four says coldly.

John looks calm, "You wouldn't."

"I would," Four says, the corner of his lips raising in a small smile.

John looks a little scared now but stands his ground, "Do it then."

Four smiles even more and pulls the trigger. John lets out a very undignified scream that everyone laughs at when they realized that there were no bullets in the gun. John's face becomes bright red.

"Next time, don't test me. There might be bullets in the next one," Four says.

I laugh again and Four looks at me and winks. I feel myself smile even wider.

After everyone has settled down again, Four explains how to shoot a gun and demonstrates it a few times. When he finished his demonstration, we each went to take our places. I load my gun. It's feels heavy in my hand, but with that weight a sort of power. I remember clearly, Four's stance when he fired then gun, and copy it exactly. I take a deep breath and focus on my target and nothing else. I close one eye to help my aim and I pull the trigger. My aim is true. My bullet goes through the center of the target.

"That was amazing," Four says.

I jump at the sound of his voice. I didn't know he was standing behind me the entire time. I stutter but find myself at a loss for words.

He laughs, "It was a compliment."

"I understand that. It's just...I don't know. I guess you just scared me," I scramble for words.

He laughs again, "I'm sorry about that. I didn't mean to scare you," he looks at my target, "Can you do that again?"

"I can try," I turn around and repeat the steps I took earlier. Again I hit the target, just a little to the left of my original mark.

Before I could turn around again I feel his hands on my shoulders, "If you relax your shoulders a bit you can fire faster with the same accuracy." 

I follow his directions and shoot the gun again three times. Each mark showing up very close to each other. I  turn to him with a gleeful smile on my face.

He nods and smiles, "Yep, just keep on making sure that your shoulders stay relaxed. Not so...Stiff."

I laugh. He smiles again and then makes his way over to John, who seems to be having much more trouble than me. I can't help but feel a bit smug. I turn back to my target and continue to practice until Four tells us to stop.

"Okay now I'm going to teach you how to throw a punch," he says. We watch as he demonstrates the proper stance and how to throw you weight into it. When he was done he directed us to the punching bags.

I soon figured out that I'm not as good at throwing punches as I am at firing a gun. The first punch I threw was textbook perfect but the impact of my knuckles on the bag stung and I soon find myself hissing in pain when clench and unclench my hand. I don't think this has  to do anything with my technique. It seems like more of a tolerance thing.

After a few more minutes of me enduring this pain, Four stops behind me. We watches me for a moment, studying my stance. I look at him curiously to hear what he has to say.

He says nothing. Instead, he grabs my waist, his hand sends waves of heat curling through my stomach. He firmly moves me to where I am facing the bag but my body is at an angle.

"What the hell is this?" I ask confused.

He laughs, "This is the stance you're going to have to get used to. It's the stance you need to assume when you fight."

"Angling your body sideways," he continues, "makes you a smaller target when someone is trying to hit you."

"That's a punching bag," I say, gesturing to it, "I don't think it's going to be hitting anyone."

He smiles a little, "You'll need this information in the future."

With this, he walks away to adjust the stances of the other initiates.  I feel my heart pounding in my chest. It's probably just this exercise their making us do. Nothing to do with the really good-looking guy that was just grabbing my waist.