Chapter One

[Chapter One]

[Chapter One]

From an early age, horses had been an intricate part of the Rosier lifestyle, Victor had bred and trained horses since he was around his daughter's age. They were very much a part of Éponine's life, however, she was more interested in riding as she had started back when she was only around five years old. Sitting on the back of a Hanoverian was her escape from reality and when she needed to break away for moments, she would turn to the saddles. By no means was she a professional rider of any sort, it was more of a leisurely hobby. If anything, there wasn't even a need for her to ride, she often found herself sitting in the stables or the edge of the fence on most mornings and afternoons that she had to herself. 

It was currently where the girl was hiding, tucked away in one of the clean and empty stalls with a book in hand. One of the only places that her mother would not dare to venture wearing one of her nice dresses and designer shoes. Mainly since her mother had been spending the majority of the week trying to get Éponine in similar dresses and shoes since she had arrived home. It had been less than a week since the term ended at Hogwarts for the summer and the soon-to-be fifth year was attempting to enjoy her free time. But her parents, mainly her mother had proven to have many different plans for the girl.

It was discussed long before the girl came home, long before she started her fourth year because something terrible that happened to the Black family. They made it sound like a tragedy as if there were a death in the family, and supposedly, there was one because Sirius Orion Black might as well have been dead in the eyes of his parents. Although Éponine mainly found herself surprised that he lasted around the family as long as it did. She figured it would happen much sooner, even before she started Hogwarts as she was quite observant of the family from a young age. 

When Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor back in his first year, she watched the entirely family shift in their views of the boy. It wasn't just his family, but her family as well, after all, Éponine was set to the marry the boy after she became of age and left Hogwarts. Her parents had nearly become permanently pale when they learned of the boy's sorting. Since the beginning of time, as it was stated, all members of the Black family had been sorted into the Slytherin and Sirius had broken tradition by being sorted in the house of "blood traitors and mudbloods."

At the time, Éponine didn't understand that the crime that had been committed, nor was she aware that there was doubt from both families that she and Sirius would wed. Gryffindor didn't hold much meaning for her at the time, seeing as she had yet to start up at Hogwarts herself, but judging by the attitude of her parents and his parents, nothing good obviously came from Gryffindor. When Sirius returned home during the Christmas holiday, Éponine had been present with her parents, only to hear the boy being yelled at for not standing his ground against the Sorting Hat. 

His mother, Walburga spoke so harshly to the boy that it frightened Éponine to the point where she wanted nothing to do with the Gryffindor House, fearful that she would face the same sort of treatment. Sirius was furious and nothing but upset the entire time during Christmas, not even bothering to come downstairs when it was time to open presents. Instead, during a time where he and Éponine were supposed to be spending time together, at least playing together, he sealed himself away in his room.