Chapter Twenty-Five

(cendriia)

(cendriia)

[Chapter Twenty-Five]

Leave it to Éponine Rosier to drop the word equivalent of a Dungbomb in the corridor on Regulus and then run off, leaving him little time to react, let alone come up with a response. Left alone in the corridor, Regulus attempted to process everything the girl had told him before she ran off. For starters, she claimed that she had wanted to ask him out on a date, something that left Regulus with a fluttery feeling in his chest. It was the last thing he had expected, especially when he had followed her out of the common room. However, it was something that caught him off guard in such a good way that he didn't know how to react right away.

Normally, it always fell on the boy or man in a relationship to be the one to make the first move. They were told that they had to be the ones to set the date or at least, ask the girl out on one. His father had naturally given him some pointed before the summer ended, telling Regulus had to approach the situation in a casual manner, inviting Éponine to spend a day in Hogsmeade, just having a nice time. Regulus thought about it, but the trips to Hogsmeade wouldn't start up until the end of October, he figured in the meantime, that he would just work on establishing the friendship with Éponine.

Apparently, Éponine was willing to move at a quicker pace, still working on getting to know each other, but moving into dating. Then came the second part she had revealed, she had been worried about kissing him. He didn't even think that she thought of such things, certainly, she blushed quite often, but he figured it was more the lines of her just being naturally shy. Now he was more aware of what actually ran through her mind when they were together. She wanted to go on a date with him and she wanted to kiss him, but she wanted to kiss him and leave a good impression.

Flattering, to say the least, but that's when Regulus finally took in the last part that she had revealed. If he had heard her correctly, Éponine had confessed that she had kissed Emmarentia. Of course, she added the part where she had kissed the girl, pretending Emmarentia was him. He wasn't sure how he was supposed to feel about that, happy that she wanted to kiss him enough that she wanted to practice, but a second feeling that didn't feel so flattered. 

In fact, Regulus could call it jealousy.  

With the idea that Éponine was meant to be his wife in the future, knowing that she didn't share any experience with the opposite sex (which still remained true) he figured that eventually, he would be the one that shared her first with her. It would be the first for him as well. Of course, that moment was somewhat ruined by the idea of Emmarentia being the one that she shared her first kiss with. He didn't view Éponine as tainted or anything, but it left him to question just what exactly were Emmarentia's intentions?

As he had expressed his suspicions before, he found it odd that Emmarentia had seemingly come out of nowhere, approaching Éponine with the promise of a friendship. She could try and argue the same, however, it was their parents that had forced them together for the summer and that allowed Regulus to realise how much he was in the wrong. While Emmarentia hadn't actually bullied Éponine in the past, she hadn't exactly gone out of her way to establishing a friendship either. Now she was suddenly locking lips with the girl he was intended to marry, what sort of friendship was he dealing with?