Chapter Thirty-Nine

[Chapter Thirty-Nine]

It had been a foolish idea to let go of his broom, but despite having to be brought to the Hospital Wing shortly after catching the golden snitch, Regulus didn't regret in the slightest. In fact, it had been one of his happiest moments before his world went back since he slammed his head into the ground. To have Éponine in the stands had left him more than determined to pull off the win. He had always been one to play his best because he certainly didn't like losing either but knowing how much Éponine loved the sport and how she admired the way he played, he was putting in over two hundred percent of his effort.  

But that hadn't been his only drive either since James Potter was playing too, Regulus didn't want to lose to likes of his team. It was one thing if they were going to lose against Gryffindor, but playing against James made the match far more personal than before, especially since Sirius had left home before the start of the season.  He was playing harder than he ever had and it seemed James had picked up on that as well as he started playing even harder than his usual. It had been a brutal match and that was putting it lightly, but it had all been worth it.

Waking up in the Hospital Wing, Regulus felt a bit sore, but nowhere near what he would have felt if it wasn't for Madam Pomfrey's healing. It was getting close to nightfall and while most of the students were in the Great Hall for dinner, he was surprised by the sound of a voice coming from the other side of the room.

"You're an absolute fool, you know that, right?"

Lifting his head up from his pillow, Regulus smiled as soon as he spotted Éponine making her way over to his bedside. Despite calling him a fool, she still wore a smile herself as she came to sit on the edge of the bed.

"But I won the match for Slytherin, didn't I?" he countered with a proud grin, leaving her to nod.

"You certainly did, but did you really have to headbutt the ground to pull it off?"

"I didn't think I was going to get to the snitch in time before it changed direction on me and I wasn't going to lose it again, " he explained, "I mean, I would have preferred not to eat the ground, but I did what I had to do."

He reached out his hand, patting a spot closer to him bringing Éponine to scoot closer to him. She moved closer to him remembering that she did bring him a couple of things in the pocket of her robes.

"I brought you something, well a few things actually, because I didn't know how long you were going to be in here," she said. "Madam Pomfrey said she was just going to keep you overnight to make sure that you were fine. But still, I figured you would probably want this since it's the entire reason as to why you're in here."

Regulus sat up on the bed as she pulled out the golden snitch that he had caught during the match, handing it over to him. It certainly made him feel better as he reached out to grab it but after a few seconds, he handed it back to her, leaving Éponine confused as it was placed back in her hand.