Chapter Forty-Five

[Chapter Forty-Five]

Forgetting all the drama that had taken place in the recent months of school regarding Emmarentia, Gian, and all the others that liked to play their roles, in the company of the members of the Black family, Éponine felt so at peace and it wasn't even Christmas yet. Since their arrival at the Grimmauld Place, Regulus and  Éponine found themselves doted on nearly every second. Orion was practically beside himself with joy, learning that Regulus and Éponine had grown to look beyond their shared past and move forward to developing a better future with each other. He was proud of Regulus, he had expressed it more than once since his son had been off the train.

Orion knew that since Sirius' departure from the family that Regulus had found himself in more than a bind with conflicting feelings. There was no doubt that the two brothers had been incredibly close while growing up. Sirius leaving that one night had been a devastating blow and it had led to Regulus closing himself up and becoming rather a bitter soul, but it seemed Éponine had helped him in someway realise that just because Sirius was gone, didn't mean he had to be miserable. It was unfortunate, but Regulus was realising that it wasn't the end of the world, there were still wonderous things in the world to experience.

There was a difference to Regulus' demeanour when he returned home, he appeared happy, in a good mood relatively the entire time. He laughed, smiled, and spoke regularly, rather than just sitting in the corner observing and listening. And the way he looked at Éponine and the way he spoke about her, Orion was willing to bet that his son had finally fallen for the Rosier girl. They sat together for every meal and even during the time where they were free to roam in the home and do as they please, they were usually found sitting together.

Walburga was also quite thrilled as to what she was witnessing, simply because while Orion wanted Regulus to change his attitude towards it all in the beginning, Walburga had feared that Éponine would be the conflicting role. It wasn't to say that Éponine wasn't pretty enough or didn't come from respectable bloodlines, however, Éponine was very soft-spoken initially. She had comfortable sitting in the background of life that Walburga wasn't sure if the girl was strong enough to carry the surname of a bloodline so noble.

It took a lot to be a Black, keeping up with appearances and dealing with anyone who had anything foul to say against them. Since Éponine appeared as a gentle soul in so many ways, Walburga had only envisioned the girl to be walked all over. Yet, it seemed the passing summer, something had finally ignited within Éponine to not only provide her with strength, but there was a calling that she demanded respect. She wasn't crying anymore, she was taking charge and that's exactly what Walburga wanted to see.

And while the marriage in the future was still looming over their heads, Regulus and  Éponine weren't paying any mind to it. They listened to the gushing of the adults over their relationship but simply brushed it off time after time. After all, they wanted to move at their own pace and not at the pace of all the expectations that others had for them. When they decided to do things their way, rather than listening to others all the time, the two found themselves happier.