Chapter Eight

[Chapter Eight]

[Chapter Eight]

Éponine expected that she would find herself in plenty of trouble among Orion and Walburga, but much to her surprise, the adults didn't seem visibly upset with her at all or at least, Orion clearly didn't. He actually seemed upset with Regulus, scolding him that he could have handled the situation better instead of allowing Éponine to run off upset. She agreed to some extent, but she didn't like the word "allowed" being used because it always sounded like she needed someone's permission in order to do something. Regulus apparently had control over her emotions or what she did when she was upset because she wasn't allowed to run off under his watch.

As the two teens stood inside the lounging room, Éponine could sense the dirty looks that Regulus continued to cast in her direction whenever Orion and Walburga had their backs turned to them. Walburga ventured off to inform the Kreacher of the meal that was to be made for dinner, leaving the man alone with the two teens. He was lecturing mainly Regulus about the importance of the of them developing a close bond. After all, unless they wished to be miserable for the rest of their lives, they had to learn to get along. 

It also involved Regulus protecting the name of his future wife, which brought Éponine to look up as the man spoke. He told his son that if he were to be a good husband that it not only meant that he had to protect his name but Éponine's as well. One day, she could very well be the mother of his child and if he didn't show her respect and allowed others to be disrespectful, how could they expect the child to respect her? It seemed incredibly far-fetched in their eyes to bring up the idea of a child at the time, seeing as they couldn't really stand to be in the same room as each other, but Orion was simply trying to make a point. 

He explained that if anyone had ever disrespected Walburga in front of him, he would be quick to act, unleashing hell on them so that they would never dare to do something along those lines again. He told Regulus that it would be in his best interest to act the same way with Éponine, not only because he was set to marry her, but because Orion was raising him to be a proper gentleman.

"As for Avery and Mulciber," Orion began as he finally went to leave the room, " I have sent a letter to their parents, discussing their behaviour. I would like to believe that they would be smart enough not to take in that kind of behaviour ever again."

Éponine couldn't even deny the smile that appeared on her face as Orion smiled in her direction and left the room, leaving the two of them alone. Finally, someone had decided to speak out against the two miserable boys that made her life a living hell. Someone outside of her and the sad thing was, it wasn't even one of her own parents, but the father of the boy who didn't even want to marry her. For the time being, it didn't really matter, she was just thankful for the prospect that something had been done. Hopefully, it meant that Avery and Mulciber would leave her alone for good. 

Sighing in relief, she went to turn and leave the room herself, however, as she turned she came to face the scowl that was written on Regulus' face. It was red, clearly showing his frustration after having to put up with a scolding, not that she really held an ounce of pity for him. Perhaps if he had saved her from Ernest and didn't proceed to shake his hands from hers as if she were diseased they wouldn't have argued before Avery and Mulciber showed up. Maybe then he would have felt a bit more inclined to defend her.