Chapter Fifty-Four

[Chapter Fifty-Four]

Madam Pomfrey had never seen such a fever in all the years she had worked at Hogwarts. When Éponine Rosier was brought in by her friend and fellow dormmates, the Healer had no time to ask questions, but rather do everything in her power and abilities to reduce the fever. Unconscious, Éponine's face was flushed with a rash, her skin hot to the touch and beaded with sweat, yet her body shook like she was shivering from a cold environment. Physically, it was clear that her body was struggling, but no one but Éponine knew how much she was struggling mentally during those moments.

Inside her mind, Éponine had escaped the clutches of Ernest Nott, only for another nightmare to unfold. Surrounding her were familiar faces, such as Regulus, Emmarentia, Avery, and Mulciber, only they didn't look pleased to see her. And on the other side, stood Gian, Lily, Remus, and Sirius, who looked equally displeased with her presence. She stood in the middle, turning around to get a good glimpse of them all.

"Regulus-" She reached for his robes, only to have him vanish as soon as she touched him. "Avery-"

One by one as she reached out, they all disappeared until only one was left standing before her.

"Gian?"

As he remained in front of her, Gian said nothing, but he didn't have to say anything. The guilt of calling him a "mudblood" was manifesting before her very eyes. She watched as each letter of the horrible word was suddenly being carved into his forehead. Blood fell the fresh wounds, leaving Éponine reaching for her wand to help. However, she was quick to learn that she didn't have her wand on her, she couldn't even move anymore.

"Gian, I'm sorry! I shouldn't have called you that!" she cried out to him. "I'm sorry! I was wrong. I only wanted to protect you, but I should have done it differently. I should have stood up to Severus. Please forgive me. I didn't want you to get hurt. I know better now. I'm a coward! I was wrong! I was wrong!"

Suddenly, without another word, Gian collapsed to the ground and Éponine felt the force that held her back release. She quickly hurried over to the little boy's side and grabbed his robe to turn him over.

But as soon as she did, Gian transformed into Bellatrix.

Immediately, Éponine screamed as Bellatrix reached out with a maniacal grin and took a strong hold of her wrist.

"What did I tell you, Éponine?" Bellatrix sneered. "Didn't I tell you to figure out where your loyalties lie? Is this what you've chosen? Have you chosen the filthy little mudblood over us?"

Behind Bellatrix appeared Regulus, along with Orion and Walburga. Unlike earlier, Regulus was now smiling at Éponine, holding his hand out for her to take. Walburga and Orion were encouraging her to come over, looking all so pleased with her. And then, behind Éponine, she could hear Gian's voice calling her name. She turned her head to see Gian, on the floor, tears streaming down his face as he looked absolutely terrified.