Episode 5: Back to Reality Part II

China and Tia glanced at each other and stepped into the cold foundation that was the forgotten base. They were met with chills going down their spines and goosebumps appearing on their skin as cold mist crossed the feet of the two girls. Tia pointed the flashlight from her phone in front of her and saw some sort of pod standing at the end of the base. All of the mist that covered half of the base was coming from that pod which flashed blue every second it released smog.

Tia turned to China. "That has to be her, right?"

China licked her lips. "Only one way to find out." China began to walk towards the pod while Tia took her attention somewhere else.

She turned to her left and saw the GR (Galactic Ready) symbol printed on the wall, but three claw marks went across it. The marks were deep in the wall like a bear took its time clawing the wall for fun. Tia looked around again as if to make sure she was in the right base. Her phone buzzed in her hand alarming her that the battery was at twenty percent.

Tia had to find the ON switch quick or she would be stuck down her with only one light. She did the same method China did and ran her hands along the cold walls. She reached the other side of the base and stopped at the side of a power box. She grabbed the handle and opened it as she ran her hands along the wires until she found the ON switch. Tia felt it and flipped the switch as the lights turned on.

"Tia!!!" China shouted as she waved her hand. "It's her!!!"

_________________

Tia placed her hands on the glass case of the pod. She looked through the small section that was not frozen and saw a rainbow-colored alien sleeping peacefully. Tia grinned. "How do we wake her up?"

"Like this." China pressed her palm on the black part of the pod as the vessel scanned her hand and analyzed it. The scanner went away as the inside of the vessel began to turn red and defrost Alastair slowly. "When Alastair wakes up, she's gonna be confused and conflicted. Maybe keep you having visions, or whatever, to yourself until she settles in."

"But---" The pod flew open as Alastair made moaning sounds and began to fall into the arms of China. China dragged her to the small bunk bed and placed her on the stiff surface.

"She'll wake up soon." China said as she looked around the base. "Maybe you should look around here and see whose base this belonged to."

"An old NASADA branch." Tia answered bluntly.

"How do you know that?"

"Alastair explained it to me and HJ the first time we met her."

"In your vision, dream or whatever?"

"Yeah..." Tia looked at her phone and noticed the time. One hour before her next class, Mechanical Engineering, begins. "I have time to spare, I'll look around the base."

China nodded her head as she pulled up a chair and sat next to Alastair waiting for her to awaken.

Tia decided to check out the control panels first to see if they still work after a few years. The control panel was wrapped around a cracked holographic table with chairs flipped over. A red light flashed in Tia's eyes as she pressed the button and the blue control panel turned on like multiple lights at once. A red picture of the pod vessel with the word "open" going across the top appeared on the panel. Tia moved her finger downwards as the pod closed shut and the inside turned from red back to blue. The screen transitioned to a grid showing stabilization levels, but for what?

Tia looked back at China and Alastair as she was on the verge of waking up. Tia turned back around and and tapped on one of the charts as a container opened up beside a dark room. Tia walked over and looked inside as she widen her eyes. "Fusion Cores?" Four fusion cores laid in a black cushion with cords connecting to them from the container. Each were different colors with the first one being light orange, second was sky blue, and the third one was purple.  These were different from the usual fusion cores as the outer rims were gold instead of black and the insides were a solid color with words and numbers on the side.