1. The Nightmare

Chapter 1:

The Nightmare

Maya Brown 🔝 played by Vanessa Ann Hudgens

            I had another nightmare.

I woke up from my bed and jolted my body upwards abruptly. My whole body was sweating, mainly my forehead and my palms. I couldn't catch my breath. It all felt so real. Too real. The fire. The smoke.

           My bedroom door swung open and there stood my best friend holding a baseball bat, ready to attack if she needed to. I guess I must've screamed or shouted when I woke up and she thought an attacker was in here or something.

           Lucy saw the state I was in, my whole body shaking despite the fact that I was sweating. She dropped the baseball bat and rushed to my side. "Oh my god, Maya. Another nightmare?"

            She wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug. I needed air though. I felt my lungs were going to collapse inside my chest. "I need air, please," I muttered weakly.

          She pulled back away from me and helped me out of bed slowly. She guided me towards our balcony so I could get the fresh air I needed. It was almost as if I could smell the smoke in real life. I knew it's impossible though. It's all just my imagination and memories from that night. Only this time, it felt too real.

Fifteen years ago

"Honey, are you sure you don't want me to drive you to the library?" My mother asked me for the fourth time already since I told her that Lucy and I were going.

"No, mom. We want to ride our bikes there. I promise we'll be fine. It's only down the road from here."

I could see it in my mother's eyes that she was worried and didn't want me to go out on my own, being only eight years old. But I'd like to say that I am a very smart and careful girl. I've never accepted candy from strangers because I knew better and my mom always warned me about those people. I never go out without my mom or dad, unless it's just to the park across the road from our house, or the library with Lucy. I was a straight-A student even though I was only in elementary still.

           Lucy arrived after a short while, her neat, blonde, hair in pig-tails hanging from each side of her head, down to her shoulders. I always wished I could have her light blonde hair. I, on the other hand, have brown hair and light brown eyes.

           Lucy knocked on our front door. I could see her through the side of the door through the window. "Mom, it's Lucy. We're going now!" I shouted from the front door after I opened it and greeted my best friend. Her helmet was covering most of her bangs, and I could tell she was really uncomfortable because it looked super tight around her chin where the straps are.