2. The Birthday

Chapter 2:

The Birthday

Lucy Reed 🔝 played by Emily Osment

"I don't want to see another shopping bag in my life," I huffed once we were finally done shopping. And when I say shopping, I mean Lucy shopping while I mope around carrying her bags. So much for a fun day to get my mind of things. Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer to be out than at home alone doing nothing.

Lucy giggled once she looked over at me as we sat down in the cafe outside the mall. "I'm sorry, but I needed new clothes," she stated defensively. This girl does not need new clothes. Our apartment has three bedrooms and can you take a guess what the third room is used as? Yup. You guessed it, a walk-in closet!

"I thought you said you wanted to come shopping for an outfit for Caleb's party, not an outfit for everyday for the rest of the year!"

           "Oh calm down," she said. She placed her 20 or so, shopping bags in the booth beside her. I noticed the entire time we were sitting there and talking, she kept looking over my shoulder, straight behind me. I began feeling annoyed that I kept talking and she would nod,  but I could tell she wasn't even paying attention to what I was saying.

            "Then I saw Caleb stick his tongue down a girl's throat and he made me promise not to tell you,"

          Nothing!

         She didn't even look at me at all. That's it! I stood up and stormed out of the cafe before we could even drink our coffee's.

"Wait, Maya!" I heard her call after me but I was pissed so I ignored her and continue walking down the street. I was going home. Screw the party tonight and screw everyone.

"Excuse me, miss?" A deep masculine voice asked from behind me as I stood in front of my White Range Rover. "Is this your car?"

"No! This isn't my car. I'm just standing here about to steal it so you better not call the cops, okay?" I blurted with rage as I spun around and noticed who I was talking to.

A police officer!

Great, I muttered to myself.

The officer had a slight smirk displayed across his face, like he was humoured by what I had just said. "Well, I can see your having a bad day, Miss. I guess it'll be a bad idea to tell you that you are illegally parked here and I could write you up for a ticket." He paused while looking at me, letting his eyes linger on mine. "But I won't do that," he offered a warm smile.