10. The Runaway

Chapter 10:

The Runaway

            The following night I got changed into my leggings and tank top, slipping my feet into my fuzzy slippers and headed out with two coffee mugs to Adrian's apartment. As I was about to set the coffee mug down to knock, the door swung wide open. A tall, gorgeous woman stepped out holding Abigail's hand. Her green/blue eyes looked into mine, a shocked expression displayed on her face as she stood there staring at me.

           That is until Abigail let go of her mothers hand and leaped into my arms. "Maya! I thought I wasn't gonna see you again,"

           Looking away from the gorgeous woman in front of me, I quickly held onto Abigail as she had her tiny arms wrapped around my waist. "Oh really? Well I'm here now and I'm so glad I saw you. Are you leaving now?"

           She nodded her head sadly. "But now that your here, I wish I can stay." Abigail looked up to the woman who kept her eyes on me the whole time, probably wondering who the hell I am. "Can I stay mummy? Please can I?"

          I should've figured it out. This woman is Abigail's mother. Abigail's got her mother's eyes, although they were a tad darker. The woman shook her head as she looked down at a Abigail. "No pumpkin. We've gotta go pick up Aunt Vienna from work, remember?"

          Adrian appeared at the door. When he saw me he looked startled. Probably wasn't expecting me to be at his door step in my home clothes and two mugs of coffee on the floor beside me. I probably looked like a homeless person. "Maya?! W-what a surprise. Come in,"

          "I can come back if this is a bad time?" I asked looking between him and Abigail's mom.

           "No, no," she was the one who responded. "We were just living. I just came to pick up my daughter,"

           "Oh," I mumbled stupidly, fumbling with the hem of my tank top and looking down to the floor. If she was picking up her daughter from Adrian's, could that mean they don't live together? Or maybe they do but she left Abigail here and had to step out and now came back to get her?

            "I'm Vera by the way," she smiled, pulling out her hand to shake mine.

           I shook her hand, returning her friendly smile. "Maya."

          "Vera is my ex wife," Adrian added quickly.

            "Oh," I mumbled again for the second time. Seriously? Was that all I could say? "Um, well I just came by t-to um..."

            "Don't worry hon," Vera interrupted me. "You don't have to feel uncomfortable. I'm leaving anyway."

           She then turned to face Adrian, a small smile on her face. "So I'll bring Abby this Friday and she'll sleep over then you bring her the next morning?"

            "Yeah, sounds good," he replied then kneeled down beside Abigail. "I'll see you Saturday, Abigail,"

She wrapped her arms around his neck and he hugged her back. "Can't wait!l she exclaimed excitedly.

They both bid us goodbye and walked out of the apartment and towards the elevators.

Adrian looked at me with a sly smirk, letting me enter his apartment. "I knew you'd come to me,"

          Walking in with the mugs of coffee in my hand, I set them down on his kitchen counter top and turned to lean against it, looking at him and rolling my eyes. "No. The reason I came was because I decided that I wanted talk about Abigail and the fact that I thought you were married,"