4. The Date

Chapter 4:

The Date

Maya Brown 🔝 played by Vanessa Ann Hudgens

His question took me by surprise. I didn't know how to answer. I knew I'd like to, but I was also afraid. I haven't been on a date in a really long time. My mind was screaming no but my heart was disagreeing. It couldn't hurt to get to know him better. He's good-looking, funny, charming and his a cop which means he will always protect me and I'll be safe with him. But I'm getting way ahead of myself here. All he asked is if I'd go out with him tonight.

            My silence just made him look all the more nervous. He broke eye contact when he realised I wasn't saying anything, probably taking my silence as a 'no'.

"I'd love to," As I said those words, he looked back up at me surprised. His lips curved into a smile and felt myself smiling too. "Pick me up at 8?"

"Yes. I'll pick you up at 8," he couldn't stop grinning and I found it incredibly cute that a grown man was this happy about a date with a girl. He's defining a few years younger than me, but if he doesn't mind the small age difference, maybe we could continue seeing each other if tonight's date goes well.

I thanked him for driving me to get my car and I immediately called Lucy when I was in my car. And of course when officer Boroughs was out of sight. I don't need a ticket for being on my phone while driving. I never learn. She picked up on the fifth ring.

"Why are you calling me at 6am in the morning?" She growled unpleasantly, sounding tired and annoyed.

Laughing, I told her what time it really was. "Shit!" She cursed. "I'm so hungover! We didn't sleep till like 5 in the morning. We kept having se—"

"Oh god, spare me the details," I scrunched my nose as I really didn't want to hear it. "So when are you coming home? I kinda need your help. I have a date tonight,"

"What?!" She literally screamed into the damn phone. Normally I would of screamed right back by telling her to stop screaming, but I was excited myself so I let her off the hook just this time. "Explain!"

"I will when you get home," I didn't want to keep driving around while on the phone. "Meet you there soon. Don't be long he's picking me up at 8. Oh, and you'll never believe it. He is our neighbour. He moved into Casey's apartment."

"Shit, no more late night parties at our place then, now we have a cop living a couple of doors down from us," she huffed in annoyance, I could picture her frowning.

           "Just hurry up, I want you to help me decide what to wear."

           "Reow," she imitated a cat noise. "Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed today." I actually did.