Ch3: Moving to the Main Residence?

Qing Ge immediately came forward and started fussing. "Miss, you're awake! You really worried this maid to death. How are you feeling? Don't move around too much. You need to rest properly."

"I'm fine." Xing Yun interrupted. She asked Qing Wu to help her up.

"I apologize for not being able to greet Grandfather, First Uncle, Physician Shen and the other Elders. Hope you will forgive Feng Mian."

Xing Yun lowered her head and pretended to be apologetic while carefully studying the people present. There were her First Aunt and a few other women who followed behind as well as a man she didn't recognize. The man stood outside the door of her chambers but had his eyes on her from the moment he came near the room. He was wearing a black robe that accentuated his explosive body and showed off the temperament of an expert.

Xing Yun didn't pay him any more attention as it was time for her performance.

"You don't need to concern yourself with etiquette right now. Just take care of yourself well. What happened today?" Patriarch Feng asked.

She bent her head in a way that made it seem like she was hiding her face while still exposing the way she carefully blinked her eyes as if to hold back her tears. Breathing deeply to add to the illusion of a wronged person, she carefully replied, "This granddaughter was wrong."

Patriarch Feng was aware that this granddaughter of his seemed to fear him. So he simply shook his head.

"Rest well. If you need something, just ask your uncle and aunt. They will take proper care of you."

He was about to turn around to leave when Xing Yun looked up at him with tears floating in her eyes. Suddenly, he was caught up in the deep pools of sadness and the mystery within her eyes. His steps paused and the memories of the past emerged within his mind, when Feng Mian used to stare up at him with exactly the same gaze whenever she was hurt.

"Grandfather..." Xing Yun squeezed out a drop of tear and called him with such tenderness that anyone would feel their heart soften involuntarily. This act even distracted one's attention from the glaring scar on her face.

"Grandfather, can I move in to the Feng Main Residence and live there with you?"

This question was a shock for all the people present. Patriarch Feng was shocked because he never thought that the granddaughter who used to fear him so much was voluntarily asking to move closer to him. And eldest uncle's entire family was shocked because they didn't expect Feng Mian to dare to leave her First Uncle's Residence. After all, they had carefully created a barrier between Feng Mian and the world; neither side could see the other clearly.

After recovering from the shock, Patriarch Feng was filled with happiness and satisfaction. He quickly agreed to her request and stated his intention to stay at his First Son's Residence till Feng Mian's health improved. In the nine years since his second son had disappeared, this was the first time he could again feel the closeness with his second granddaughter.

Feng Mian had moved away from the Feng Main Residence two months after her parents disappeared. In the years following that, she had only visited the Main Residence twice.

Xing Yun made this request because she knew that Patriarch Feng was the only one who could be her safe haven, at least in the short term. She could also start paving the way for revenge against the people who harmed Feng Mian.

With this decision, some people were happy while some were worried. But there was nothing else to be done as the involved parties had already made the decision.

Feng Xue was filled with jealousy and hatred. Patriarch Feng never allowed her to stay in the Capital City where the Main Residence was located for more than a month within a year. Her hateful glare was quickly suppressed, but not before Xing Yun caught a flash of it.

She sneered inside.

Patriarch Feng quickly evicted everyone from the room and left Xing Yun alone to rest.

No one noticed the flashing eyes of the man standing outside the door.

Xing Yun was left alone in the room. She closed her eyes and continued absorbing all the memories.