Ch9: The Ring of Chaos

Feng Mian's doubts about the situation continued to grow. But she cast everything aside and cultivated her soul energy.

On this day, she finally felt her soul slowly breaking fetters that kept it chained and prevented it from fully merging with the body. The feeling of fullness kept increasing, increasing the pressure from within. She could feel the surface of her skin turning red as her blood flow became chaotic. Droplets of blood emerged from her skin and blood even trickled out of the corners of her mouth.

Slowly, it felt as if even her bones were being crushed. A creaking sound emerged from within her body. Her robes were soaked through with a mixture of sweat and blood.

The pain kept increasing. But Feng Mian didn't open her eyes once. Currently, she was completely immersed in cultivation. She was busy within her consciousness trying to feel out the soul bonds and carefully tugging the ones she could find.

The first soul bond was thinner than a spider's silk. It delicately extended into the distance and disappeared. She tugged the thread and felt out the state of the bond. She could perceive the bond, but couldn't find the whereabouts of the artifact. Regardless, she secured it by adding some energy into the bond and looked for the next soul bond.

It took her a whole day to finally reach the last two soul bonds. Unlike the thinner bonds previously, these two bonds were more like a rope, a thousand times stronger. Unfortunately, one of the bonds had a translucent look to it, indicating that it was extremely weakened. This half faded bond was that of her contracted beast. Feng Mian grew a bit anxious at first, but when she saw that the bond was holding on despite its weak state, she was slightly relieved. As long as she could fix it later, she would.

She turned her attention to the last bond. This bond was also unlike the the other bonds. This bond was the strongest. There had been no weakening of the bond. In fact, it was stronger than it had ever been. The bond was glowing with faint golden light.

Feng Mian grew excited. The time had come to see whether she had been successful in completely opening the artifact or not. She had waited for this moment for more than two hundred years.

She injected her soul energy into the bond bit by bit. At first there was no reaction. But then, the golden glow grew brighter as it covered the world of her consciousness with warm glow. The glow seeped through to other soul bond and also to her physical body. The injuries she had received, all recovered. All her fatigue and hunger were swept away. Her bones, tendons, muscles and even her blood received a baptism with the glow, making them tougher and more resilient and awakening the dried up meridians and channels in her body.

As the glow withdrew, Feng Mian opened her eyes and saw a thin ring of red metal wrapped around her ring finger.

The Ring of Chaos.

It was an artifact she found during one of her journeys in the Upper Realm. According to what she could understand, it had been designed by an artificer of the peak of God rank or above, for someone with special physique. Her Divine Soul allowed her to barely open the artifact. It had several levels, each level with probably different functions. She had only opened two layers. The first layer was a storage space for non-living things and second layer stored living things as well as helped hide the breath of the wearer.

These two layers were already enough to make all major forces to fight for this artifact. Just imagine what would happen if all the layers could be opened. Feng Mian didn't even know how many layers existed in this ring exactly; she could only guess that it was definitely above ten layers.

With a thought, she moved her consciousness into the ring.

When she opened her eyes, she was shocked.

The previously dark atmosphere was nowhere to be seen. Instead, she had the illusion of being back in the Upper Realms. The sky was a pure blue descending into a darker shade at the horizons.

The ground was covered in tender green grass. The grass was not common weed either. It was spiritual grass that could store different natural energies and help to speed up cultivation.

There were also a few buildings arranged in a ring shape. The buildings were simple but grand. They gave off an imposing aura deterring people from even thinking of malicious thoughts.

And at the centre of the buildings, there was a large pond, with lotuses of different colours blooming and dancing with the breeze.

The thick concentration of qi and spiritual energy in the air made the space a paradise for all cultivators.