the pain of love

i slowly and silently walked beside Clayton and Boggs as we headed to see Coin.
my throat still hurt and i wasn't sure if it was okay to talk.

"our next mission?" i asked with a whisper. Boggs held a device in his hand and looked at it.

"the rebellion." he said with a deep tone.

i nodded as i remembered Coin's words.

"you have to lead the rebellion. there will be a group waiting for you. run off. get more people. you have to go against us," she said with a smirk.

i sighed as we ended up at her door.
"yes? oh, finnick. you're back." she said with a fake smile.

she's playing me, i thought. she's playing all of us to make us think she's on our side.

"when does the rebellion start?"
i croaked.

"as soon as Brook gets better. she's been a lot better for two days but tomorrow, she should be stable to walk and talk and stuff. she might see you as a threat still, though."

i sighed deeply and turned around.

"wait!" clayton shouted, grabbing my arm. "where are you going?"

i took a deep breath. "your house."

i ignored Clayton as i ran to his house. i unsteadily knocked on the door.

kenny opened it. "finnick! what a surprise!" she let me in and i sat on the couch as she handed me a glass of tea.

"what's wrong, dear?" she asked.

i sighed. "you know...brooklynn. you have a wonderful daughter, mrs. westbay, you really do. but...she thinks i'm a threat now."
i explained.

she smiled and rested my chin in her hand. "finnick, it's not her. it's the capitol. you have to believe that."

i nodded and drank my tea.
"what does alta have against me, though?"

kenny sighed. "she thinks you tried to hurt Brook. ignore her."

right then, alta walked in.

"hey ke-. out! now!" she shouted as soon as she saw me.

i started to tear up as i sat my cup of tea down.

"i didn't hurt her," i said, my voice cracking. "the capitol did."

that was the last thing i said to her before walking out the door and slamming it.