A Question of Intent

Silence.

"You...want to... WHAT!?" Staring incredulously, Kiyomitsu jumped up from his seat at the table. His cup of tea slammed down onto the surface of the wood, the liquid inside swirling around the edges unevenly. One of the waves of disturbed liquid splashed up over the side, splattering a few stray droplets across the lacquer.

". . . Why?" Yasusada furrowed his brows, remaining seated.

While Mikazuki's gaze passed briefly across the droplets, he raised a napkin as carefully reached across the table to dab them away. "Ha ha ha, I knew you would react like that. I'm going to try something different this time, but first there is someone else I need to talk to."

"And who would that be?" In response to Yasusada's question, Mikazuki turned his head.

His gaze trailed over to the boy seated by the window, book propped up in his lap against a raised leg. Cool violet etes stared back behind the rim of a set of glasses. Then, he blinked, a look of surprise crossing his face. "Wait. Me? Is that why you called me here?"

"Ahaha, smart boy." With a smile, Mikazuki nodded.

Jumping up with his book in hand, he quickly shot across the room and had his hand on the sliding door, ready to draw it open. "I have nothing to say to y---"

"I saw you in the Master's office." Although he was not looking at this point, he knew Yagen froze. The door never opened, and Mikazuki raised his tea to his lips while gazing ahead.

"What!?"

"Hmm? What is he talking about, Yagen?" He saw Yasusada look over towards the tanto, and watched as Kiyomitsu reluctantly returned to his seat.

"It's nothing. I got MVP today - asked her to look after my brothers."

"Ha ha ha, but that's not what you wanted, is it?" Narrowing his eyes minutely, he turned his gaze back towards Yagen. The boy hadn't moved an inch, still hovering his hand over the door.

"... Be quiet."

"What's he talking about?" Interest seemingly piqued, Yasusada canted his head to the side, raising a brow. His hair shifted to the side, and Kashuu glanced at it, reaching up to comb his fingers through it - except it snagged, earning him a yelp and grimace. Kiyomitsu sighed, muttering about him needing to learn to brush his hair.

"Yagen was reaching out for her. So, why did you not tell her what you truly want?"

An annoyed sigh was ellicited from the raven-haired Touken Danshi, and he turned back to face the direction of the other three. "I can't ask for more than she is able to give. The General cares for us in her own way."

"Doesn't it hurt, though? You can't reach out for your master, and instead shield her from your pain by pretending this doesn't bother you. How long can these charades continue?"

"As long as necessary. Master still loves us, even if we can't hug her."

Ahh. Such a difficult boy. Perhaps this was how he chose to show his appreciation. "Is a hug really too much to ask for, though, Yagen?"

"As of now? Yes."

"Even one?"

"Damn it, what do you want, old man?" It seemed he had hit a nerve. Or moreso, found it, and pressed repeatedly...whichever the case may be.

"I would like for you to be honest with her about what you want."

The look in his eye spelled death when he looked back at Mikazuki. Even so, he did not budge. "I want my brothers looked after."