His Request, Delayed

Darkness circled. A thousand crimson eyes leered from the depths of these creeping shadows, and trapped in their midst was a girl so filled with fright she could not flee.

...

Rather, it felt as though perhaps you, like the trees, had your feet rooted to the ground, and could therefore take nary a single step. In the snarling darkness you could feel them encroaching on your boundaries. Those careful lines drawn in the sand, tread upon without reserve as this darkness swallowed you up in a vice-like grip of horror.

And...something blinding cut through the darkness. Moonlight filled your vision. And yet...the shimmering glow did not come from above. No, it was in front of you.

From...him.

Ethereal light radiated from his skin, glancing off his blade and scattering light in the form of a thousand Sakura petals filtering through the cold night air. It tangled in the folds of his kimono, reflecting in waves off of the silken sapphire and liquid gold adorning his body. Emblems of the moon decorated his form as his blade cut through the darkness, and you couldn't breathe as you watched him. His face was calm, purposeful, relaxed, and...focused. Every stroke of his blade was soft as a warm summer breeze and cut like an icy gale.

You had...no idea what he was fighting. His eyes were locked on you, and every time he faced your way, your gaze met. His eyes, so deeply mesmerizing... Eyes that knew too much, and yet were filled with questions. Eyes that tried to tell you something, although not a syllable was conveyed. You couldn't manage a coherent thought, knowing only that he was trying to protect you - from what, you weren't sure.

So this is the Tenka Goken...

A softness came into his gaze, although his blade drew inches from your throat, and you thought he might be laughing as he worked to banish the darkness between you.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

You blinked open your eyes slowly, wondering what had woken you. Blinking your eyes, your fingers tightened against the folds of the bedding of your futon, and you turned your head toward the door.

There, peering in... It was him. Having just barely slid your door open a crack, he was giving you an easy smile as he looked down at your prone form. "Master?"

You sat up, wondering momentarily how long he had been there. "Oh... Mikazuki. Good morning." What time was it, anyway? The air still felt crisp, and the rays of sunlight that filtered in your window held a golden tint...

"Ha ha, yes. Good morning, Master. I trust you rested well?" Sliding open the door further, he made his way into the room and sat down on the very same cushion he had used last night - next to your futon, and between you and the door. His hands folded in his lap, and he looked at you carefully.

"I..." Did that strange dream count as resting well? Your heart was racing, even though you felt oddly...centered. It was weird - this wasn't the first time a sword had to save you from your own bad timing, but... It was the first time you ended up dreaming of them afterwards. "I think so."

His expression changed,minutely, and he seemed to look you over a little more throughly. "Is something troubling you?" He waved a hand toward your body, most likely intending to denote the slight tremors that were still moving through you.

A shake of your head. "It's more than likely nothing."

Shrugging, he seemed to accept your unwillingness to give him a straight answer. "Strange dreams, I take it...well..." Pushing to his feet, he vacated his sitting cushion and headed back to the door. Pausing just outside of it, he turned back towards you and rested a hand on the frame. "I'll step out for a few minutes. You should take this time to prepare yourself."