Chapter 2

Mark's P.O.V

I buttoned the last button to my suit top. I placed the all black jacket around my shoulders and waited for Theodore's approval.

"How do I look?" I queried. He twisted from his Soap Operas to examine my outfit.

"Fine."

"Just fine?"

"Blue shoes and a black jacket? You look fine."

"Whatever. I might be out all night so don't worry too much." I joked and took hold of my keys.

"Don't worry, I wasn't going to mind anyways."

I laughed and headed for my truck. I shut the door and started the car up. I thought about what I would say to Jessica. What I could say to Jessica. She was a great girl, but she had her reserves. She had just let me start calling her baby a few months ago.

The cool night breeze felt good as if brushed across my skin. Country air was something I would never be able to get over. The aroma, the feel, just the sight of it.

I pulled into Jessica's yard and retrieved the flowers I had brought from the back of the truck. I walked up to the door and knocked lightly.

Jessica opened the door in the most beautiful dress I had ever seen on her. It was scarlet with some jewels under the breast line.

"Jess you look-"

"Stunning. Beautiful. I know." She laughed and opened the door all the way so I could get in.

"I got you some roses."

"They're gorgeous Mark. I'll place them in a vase, you can sit, dinner should be finished in a little."

I sat down and looked at the home. This was the first time I had seen her house. The last few visits, we had either gone out to our parent's house.

"Nice living you got here!" I called out.

"I like it! It's cozy!" Jess yelled back and I looked around until she came back. "Dinner."

I accompanied her around the corner and into the dining room. The table had two chairs and a candle in the center. A plate of lasagne and some wine sat on opposite sides of the candle.

"This looks amazing."

"Thanks."

To say we're seeing each other for a year everything seemed slightly formal and not as casual as I anticipated from a relationship this long.

"Is everything okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't seem very relaxed about this date. You seem very..... uptight."

Jessica paused before replying.

"We've been rushing things Mark."

"What do you mean?"

"Calling me 'baby', going out on dates."

"We've been seeing each other for a year. I felt that everything was in order."

"That's how you felt Mark and I went along with it, but it takes some time for me to become comfortable with someone."

"More time than a whole year?"

"Yes, more than a whole year."

I sighed and stood up. Jessica grabbed my hand before I could reach the doorway.

"Don't go Mark, I still genuinely like you."

"I'm not comfortable with someone who doesn't see me as a serious 'date' after one year." I shook Jessica's hand off and got back into my truck.

That's why I was a bachelor and would be a bachelor for life.