Chapter 9

Jessica's P.O.V

"Cheater, cheater pumpkin eater." I chanted as Mark and I walked into my house. I flicked on the light and slipped off my coat.

"Sore ass loser." Mark retorted with a smile. I hit his shoulder and he bent down asking for a kiss.

"Nope, you've been a bad boy."

I turned around and made my way into the den to turn on the heat. It was freezing down here now that winter was coming in.

"Mark, you want something to drink!" I called from the kitchen.

"No thanks."

He yelled back. I pulled out a soda and opened it before taking a seat next to Mark on the couch. I lifted the remote to turn on the tv, but he grabbed it from my hand.

"What's with you?" I questioned.

"Babe, let's talk. Look, you already know I love you and you're the woman I want to be with, but something's come up."

"What?"

"So training is almost over and stations want new recruits. There's not a need for many cops down here and I have to move."

"Move?" I got the feeling in my throat. The feeling you get when you're trying not to cry, but can't help it.

"Just a few towns over about five hours away. There's a greater need up there."

"Why don't you just quit? You have me and that was the reason you joined the force in the first place right? Just quit."

Mark could hear the hoarseness in my voice and he pulled me into his arms. I cried into his chest like I've never cried before. Five hours wasn't that far, but it was far enough where we might not be able to see each other on a daily basis.

"I'm sorry baby." He whispered as he rubbed my back gently.

"Why don't you talk to my father? He could probably help you out."

"He tried. Nothing."

"I love you Mark." I whispered and placed my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too Jessica."