Chapter 4

Mark's P.O.V

"I don't care." I growled at Theodore as he called me to dinner. I didn't mind having him in the house when he wasn't such a pain in the ass and left me to be angry.

"You're turning into Caelum."

I flipped him off though he was hiding behind the dining room doors and couldn't see the vulgar gesture. I was turning into Caelum. My hot-tempered cousin was in New York now, though, and boy did I wish I could film that.

"You can be crazy, but you can't starve."

Theodore sat a plate in front of me piled high with chicken and rice and macaroni.

"Damn this looks good."

"I try."

Theodore hurried into the kitchen. I took a bite out of the food and turned on the T.V. Making Theodore my roommate wasn't such a bad idea after all.

I continued to eat when I heard my phone buzz. I looked to find out what had caused it and saw a message Jessica.

Hey, I just wanna talk

I wanted to curse her out and tell her she had said a mouthful after dinner, only that was weeks ago and maybe it was time to forgive. I texted her back, asking where she wanted to talk, and she told me to meet her at the bar.

I sighed and slid my shoes on.

"Theo! I'm heading out!"

"Out where!" He yelled back.

"None of your damn business!"

"I swear, every last one of you McGriffin men have a temper."

I laughed and walked down to my car. The engine started, but I blanked everything out in anticipation for this 'meeting'. What if she said she believed it would be best we both moved on? What if that whole year was merely a waste?

I tried to block the bad thoughts, but more and more of them stacked up. When I at last got to the bar, I was shaking.

"Mark! What can I get ya!"

"Whiskey."

I spotted Jessica sitting at a booth and made my way over to her.

"You wanted to talk?" I stated, sliding into this narrow bar seat.

"Yes, Mark, I guess you misunderstood me that night."

"What didn't I understand? We were together and you weren't comfortable with that."

"That's not what I meant?"

"Tell me then. Tell me what's so awful about being in a relationship with me?"

"Nothing Mark, you're terrific and funny and smart."

"Then what's wrong?"

"If you break a vase, you can fix it right? But it'll never be the same, it'll have fractures that just stay. I was that vase Mark. I have been used and abused some many times it hurts. I don't know what to believe when someone might actually...... loves me."

"Jessica, you are an amazing woman. I would never intentionally hurt you, because I know what it's like to be at the heart broken side. I know the pain, but I'm trying."

"I know you are Mark, but-"

"But what? What can I do to make you love me?" And then it clicked like a lamp coming on in my mind. I knew exactly what to do.