Chapter 5: Strangers

This is the first night my mom hasn't tucked me in like a child, the first time she didn't peek through my door to see if I was fast a sleep or to see if I was binge watching the latest Netflix movies. Frankly, I'm glad she hasn't checked up on me because this is also the first night that I go against her words and the night that I go against everything I've ever known.

I look at the clock and as the big hand turns to twelve it marks the two final days of register left at GRU. Before another second can go by I hit the submit button on my laptop and when the page pops up saying my request was sent I close my laptop, packing it in my case and grabbing my pink duffle bag.

I walk over to my bedroom door and press my ear to it, listening closely to any noise. When I don't hear the families creak of the floors as someone walks on them I slowly pull the door open and peek my head out the door. All the lights are off, making me aware that my mom is fast a sleep.

I walk out my bedroom door, tip toeing but doing this as quickly as possible not wanting to be caught. When I'm finally out the door I let out a breath of relief that I wasn't even aware I was holding in. As I look back at my house, surrounded by the shadows of the night, I can't help but smile knowing that chapter of my life is over and nothing ahead of me can be even half as bad as what I'm leaving behind me.

~

I've been walking all night, not wanting to stop until it's time for a bus to stop, knowing the very moment my mom wakes up that she will know I'm gone and will search every where nearby to find me. If I'm found I know I will never see freedom again, so I'm not stopping until I'm at GRU.

I check my watch and see that it's finally eight in the morning and sigh happily as I see a town in the distance. I would run to it of I wasn't so exhausted, but instead I stroll over and as soon as I spot the nearest bus station I walk over to the ticket booth.

" One ticket to Delaware please. "

I say giving the man a gentle smile, he eyes me suspiciously but I can't blame him as tired and messy as I look I probably look like a fugitive.

" That's pretty far to be traveling miss, how old are you? "

I fight the urge to roll my eyes, not wanting to cause trouble.

" I'm eighteen sir. "

" I'm going to need some identification. "

Considering my mom never let me drive so I don't have my permit or a license that's going to be difficult.

" I don't have any...I forgot it. "

" Then I'm afraid you can't purchase a ticket. "

" Look, I have two days to get to Delaware I really need this ticket! "

" Does it look like I care? You can't provide a ID, I can't provide a ticket. Now move along. "

I huff frustrated and go to back away but then I hear a mans voice out of no where.

" She's with me sir. "

I turn to see a man who looks like he's on his mid twenties.

" She is? "

The man in the ticket booth questions.

" Where have you been Lisa? You had me worried sick! "

He scowls me and I furrow my eyebrows in confusion until a light bulb goes off.

" Sorry, I got lost and found the booth so figured I would pay in advance. "

I say, trying not to stutter.

" I swear I can't take her any where. "

He says, shaking his head and handing the man money to pay for my ticket. The man eyes us suspiciously but takes the money, grumbling something under his breath and handing me the ticket without another word.

" Now come on little sister, don't want to miss our bus. "

The stranger says, placing his hand on my back and gently pushing me towards the bus. He rushes me onto the bus and as we take our seats he turns to me sheepishly smiling.

" I'm not going to kidnap you if that's what you're thinking. "

He laughs and my eyes grow wide.

" I-I never even thought that. "

" Well you probably should have, I could have been a killer for all you know. To naive little one. "

He scowls, patting my head as I move away from him.

" So why are you running away from home? "

He suddenly ask as we hear the engine roar to life.

" How did you..."

I start but he interrupts me.

" Everyone has had a rebellious stage, anyone can take one look at you and see you're far away from home. I figured it was best to step in than to let some creep find you. "

He shrugs.

" I'm sure I would have been fine, there's more good people than bad people. "

Suddenly he burst into laughter.

" Yep, you really are far from home kiddo. Here's some advice from me to you, just because they look friendly doesn't mean they are. "

I nod my head but stay silent, I haven't even been outside my home for that long and I'm already confused by the world around me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before anyone comments on how dumb she is I wanted to state the main reason for this chapter is to show how naive and childish she is. She has never been outside her house without her parents and so she is oblivious to how the world really is, thinking that everyone is much like her and all of them live in harmony. Much like a child doesn't see wrong from right.