Chapter 20 - Limited Freedom

"It’s not your fault,” I murmured, loosening up my stiff body due to the foreign contact. I huffed before just . . . sitting there. At least, that’s all I could do as I was lacking when it came to the will to sleep. This is pitiful and degrading.

     Time elapsed, all whilst I thought up of formidable plans for potential scenarios. What was to happen to us?

--------------

     I laid in the dank cell, a retched smell wafting into my senses as I reached cognition from my temporary immobile state of sleep. Everything was a dark sable hue, blocking out any shapes or movements. It took time of sitting stiffly straight up on the cold, concrete ground to differentiate my surroundings.

     Shapes came across my lacking vision, mostly squashed in corners or walls. I couldn't recognized a single one and I was beginning to assume they weren't my friends or any of the inmates that resided in Superjail if it weren't for the Warden’s obnoxious, very vocal snoring. A twinge of a smile slid onto my features, masking my previous annoyance to the retched sound.

     "We’ll escape, I promise. Though, for now, you're an inmate like the rest of us,” I murmured just above an audible tone. He stirred but he seems to do that regardless. 

     I sat straighter, cross legged, pondering the events that lead up to this moment. I thought about what I felt when I robbed that bank, what I smelled when I met Jailbot and Stingray in the bar, and what I heard when Alice ran across the corridor, bawling. I pondered every moment, every thought, every sense, and every feeling. How ungrateful I was for being graced with this opportunity but how unlucky I am for being where I am now. Perhaps it'll unravel itself in the end? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

     Shuffling across the dirt-ridden ground, the palms of my hands searching for a suitable path as my knees drug me across the small room. I closed my eyes, finding the darkness in my mind more soothing than the creatures that tormented me when I opened my two fearful orbs. Still, the thin veil of skin could not do much to waver the tears that fell from within. I didn't mind but I found the feeling of despair repulsive.

     "Fucking hell,” I muttered as lowly as I could to relieve my agitation when my knee slid over a jagged point. I sighed, rubbing the area tenderly before beginning to shuffle again. Though, the journey was short-lived as I bumped into a body, presumably from how soft the impact was on my hands.

     I wanted to press down on the figure with a subtle nudge, to query who it was and talk about the plan in mind, as ill-witted as that idea was. Albeit, I sucked in a gulp of oxygen as I got a better look at the person, or so should I say, woman.

     I guess that's what she goes by.

     "What the hell,” the figure whispered with a deep, gruff voice. My breath hitched as I recognized her, of all people.

     "Alice?” I blurted out, before quickly shutting my mouth and hoping she didn't hear. I shuffled back a little, slowly then hurriedly until I felt the immense grip of Alice on my ankle.

     I stayed still, my heart palpitating against my chest. I closed my eyes furthermore, squeezing until my brain throbbed. Why her? Of all people I could run into?

     "(Y/n)?”

     Shit.

     More shuffling resounded across the room, a bomb compared to the unnatural silence that occurred. I couldn't fathom how quiet it actually was until she spoke. Living in Superjail made me so used to the noise I couldn't bear without it and now my breathing grew ragged at the stress of it all.