Hope is for children

Published: February 2018
Edited: November 2023 (detail change)

"I'm going because I want to!" I yelled at my brother.

"No you're not! Someone has to stay here and look after Jake. You know we can't leave him on his own."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, and sighed in irritation.

"Tom, you know damn welll, that he can take of himself. He says so. CONSTANTLY."

"When he's drunk. Lizzie, he's drunk damn near every week, and when he's not drunk, he's in the emergency room recovering from a bar fight."

I sighed, and looked at my brother.

"I'm sorry Tom, but they need me. The RDA is starting to get in the science department's business, and they need extra people. That's why I'm shipping out early."

"But a whole two years early?"

"Yes."

"Lizzie you're only nineteen. The RDA is gonna take advantage of you."

I put my hands on my brother's shoulders.

"It'll be alright, Tom. I know enough to not get my ass handed to me. I'll be fine. You just have to trust me, okay? I know what I'm doing."

.....

I stood at the back of the Valkyrie, saying goodbye to my brothers.

"Okay, I'll send back as many video diaries as I can. That way you'll know I'm alive."

"You promise?" Tommy asked.

"Cross my heart."

A siren sounded off, letting any stragglers know that they need to be on board before take off. I hugged Tom and Jake before boarding the Valkyrie. I sat next to a woman with short black hair. 

//////

That was the last time I saw my brothers. I kept up my promises and sent them copies of my video diaries. As it turns out, I wasn't needed for another year. But since I came early, I was given to my boss to deal with.

Dr. Grace Augustine is the toughest person I've ever met. If she assigns you a task, DO IT. Make sure it's on time, and done thoroughly. Otherwise she'll have your ass.

The only time she ever showed any sympathy was when everyone in her group got to visit the school she ran. I had believed that I couldn't go, as I didn't have my avatar. I remember the conversation I had with her.

......

I weaved my way through the cafeteria, trying to find Dr. Augustine. I spotted her talking to one of the tech's from the link room. I made my way over to her.

"Make sure you get that glitch fixed."

"Yes, Dr. Augustine." The tech said before walking away.

Grace turned to me, looking tired.

"What do you want?"

"I need to talk to you about going to the school. I can't go."

"What do you mean you can't go? You sick or something?" She asked.

"Or something. It turns out, when I was shipped out, they failed to ship out my avatar."

"You're joking."  Grace deadpanned.

"I wish I was." I said shaking my head.

Grace sighed, running her hand through her hair.

"Okay. This is what we'll do. You can come, but you'll have to wear an exo-pack. Make that you do what I say, when I say it. Understood?"

"Yes ma'am."

.......

I was in awe when I arrived at the school. It reminded me of schools from the early twentieth century I saw in a text book once. When I met the natives that she taught, I was shocked at how well they picked up English.

Grace eventually let me help during the lessons. The kids were adorable. They'd ask questions about why I was so short, or why I had five fingers and five toes. I sort of made friends with a girl name Neytiri, and her older sister Sylwanin.

They were the most intriguing out of the group of children. Especially when I would tell them stories of my childhood. I just wished someone would've warned us of the events to come.