Frustration

I waited in the link room for others. I practiced in my head on what to do if I come across a native. It had been two years since I've last spoke to the Omaticaya people. After the unmentionable incident happened, the Tsahìk refused to let us come back. I'd give anything to just see my friends again, and to tell them how sorry I am for what happened.

I watched the medical team through the window, as the pulled the avatars from their tanks, and on to the stretchers. I smirked when I noticed that Jake would be the shortest between Norm, him, and me. Jake's avatar barely reached the edge, while the heels of Norm's were jutting out like rock on a cliff side.

My avatar's body was so long, they had to use one half of a different stretcher just to make sure the feet didn't touch the ground. When I saw her in the tank, I was in awe. The size and color alone would shock anyone. But another I had noticed, was that I had four fingers on each hand, and four toes on each foot. Just like the natives. I asked Max why that was, and he shrugged.

"The best answer I can give, is that genes lean towards the na'vi side more."

"But why me? Surely it would've happened to a few others, right?" I asked.

"Maybe, maybe not. The others will be here in a little bit, so go stand by number 3."

I nodded, and walked over. I was in my own thoughts, when the others walked in. I took my shoes off, and placed them under the link bed. I sat on the edge, waiting for someone to give the okay.

"You ready for this?" Grace asked.

"I was born ready." I said, a smile plastered on my face.

I layed down, and pulled the lid shut. I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes. I spent only a moment in absolute darkness, before a bright white light assaulted my eyes. I blinked a few times so my eyes could adjust.

"There she is. How are you feeling Izzie?" One of the technicians asked.

"Good, I guess."

"Good. Your pupilary response is normal, as is your auditory response. Can you feel your limbs, and extremities?"

I wiggled my toes, and fingers.

"Good. Are you able to lift your arms and legs?"

I could. I passed every test they gave me before I was aloud to sit up. It felt weird to say the least.

"Okay. I can see that you're feeling a little dizzy. That's normal."

As they checked over any other tests, Jake decided to go against the grain and stand up.

"Jake! You need to sit down!"

"Jake, sit down! NOW!" I yelled.

I started pulling off all the wires attached to me, so I could get to my brother. When he pushed the first door open, I stood up and followed after him.

"Jake! You need to come back! You're gonna get suspended! Jake!"

I yelled for people to move out of the way.

"For fuck sake, stop!"

"Jake," Norm yelled. "We're not supposed to be running!"

My gate was a little wobbly, but got better the farther I ran. I yelled in annoyance when Jake almost got mowed down by and APC. He finally skidded to a halt near one of the barracks.

"For all that is holy Jake, can't you ever just follow the rules! We're gonna get in trouble for this!"

"Lizzie! This is amazing! I can feel my legs! I can run!"

"Ya' think? Jake--"

"Hey marine!"

We looked over to see Grace walking towards us.

"Grace?" Jake asked.

"Well, who'd you expect numbnuts? Think fast!"

She tossed us each a fruit a nearby plant. It was sweet, and very juicy.

.......

After we got looked over, we headed down to the barracks, and put our avatars to sleep. I sighed in sadness, when Jake came out of the link chamber. I told him to cheer up, and that we would be going out again tomorrow.

I woke up early, ate early, did some pull ups, and read until it was time to leave.

"Just keep your mouth shut, and let your sister do the talking." Grace said.

"Yeah, Jake. Don't need your big mouth getting us into trouble again." I added.

"That was one time!"

"Yeah, and Tommy had to bail us out of jail!"

"Enough you two. Liz, go get into your link chamber. Preferably within the next few seconds."

.....

Getting into the chopper was a little difficult, but we managed. Seeing Pandora from the forest floor is one thing, but seeing it from the sky, is a whole different thing entirely. You could see things, and places you couldn't before. It's otherworldly. Quite literally in this case.

When we landed, I hopped out first to give the all clear.

"I don't see anything, and there's nothing on radar."

Grace, Norm, Jake and I headed into the forest while our Pilot Trudy, stayed behind. We walked for a while, before Norm spoke up.

"How will the natives know we're here?"

"I'm sure they already do." I said, gripping my knife in its sheath.

"They could be watching us right now." Grace said.

"That does not help my anxiety, Grace!" I hissed.

We walked for a while longer, when we spotted something I thought we'd never see again.

"You guys go on. I'll wait out here." I said, leaning against a tree. 

"Is there anything you want me to grab?" Grace asked. 

"Yeah. I don't if it's still there or not, but somewhere is a gift I had made for Sylwanin. It's red, and has feathers."

"Alright. It shouldn't take us long."

My thoughts drifted off, as they searched inside the school. I swore not only to myself, but to Mo'at as well, that I wouldn't anywhere near their territory after the incident. But I was doing the exact opposite.