Unknown

Published: 2018
Edited: 2022 (Details, spelling/grammar)

Today was the day that my brother was going to arrive on Pandora. I was so excited to show Tom around the facility, and show him all the things I've worked on during my time here.

"Hey Max," I called out, walking into the bio-lab room. "Are the new arrivals here yet?"

"Yeah. They should be landing anytime soon."

I looked behind him to see what looked like giant machines being towed into the room.

"Are those the avatars?" I asked, excited.

"Yeah. You can take 'em out tomorrow."

"Yes!"

I discussed a few more things with Max before heading to the link room.

......

3rd Person PoV

As Elizabeth talked to a few link techs about what would happen tomorrow, Jake departed from the Valkyrie. He wasn't sure why his brother and sister wanted to come here, but he would soon find out. As soon as he was inside, he met up with another avatar driver named Norm.

He could tell that Norm was definitely picked on, in school. Him and Norm got a first look at their avatars. The man in charge of the the linkage between him and his avatar, Max, said that they'd be able to take them out for a test tomorrow. Meeting his boss however, that was an experience of its own.

.......

"Grace Augustine is a legend," Norm told Jake as they entered the link room. "She's the head of the Avatar Program. She wrote the book, I mean, literally wrote the book on Pandoran botany."

"Well, that's 'cause she likes plants better than people." Max said.

They made their way over to Grace who had just departed from a link chamber.

"Here she is, Cinderella back from the ball. Grace, I'd like you to meet Norm Spellman and Jake Sully."

Elizabeth, who had been going over some new statistics with a tech, turn her head towards Grace when she heard 'Sully'.

"I think my brothers here. I'll talk to you later, Rick."

Elizabeth made her way over. Standing a little behind Grace.

"Norm. I hear good things about you. How's your Na'vi?" Grace asked.

"May the All Mother smile upon our first meeting." Norm said.

"Not bad. You sound a little formal." Grace said.

Norm chuckled.

"I studied for five years, but there is much to learn."

"Grace," Max said after Norm was finished. "This Jake Sully."

"I know who he is, and I don't need him. I need his brother. You know the PhD who trained for three years for this mission?"

"He's dead," Jake said, bluntly. "I know it's a big inconvenience for everyone."

"How much lab training have you had?" Grace asked.

Jake decided to go with what he had. Which wasn't much, but it better than nothing.

"Very little. But I know some things from what my brother and sister taught me." Jake said in Na'vi.

Before Grace could say anything, Elizabeth spoke up.

"Tommy's dead?"

Grace stood to the side. Shocked that she didn't hear Elizabeth come up behind her.

"Izzie..."

Jake was sad for his sister. He had planned on telling her in private, but now he had no choice. He rolled over to sister, and took her hand in his. He took a deep breath before telling Elizabeth everything.

......

Elizabeth PoV

I couldn't believe it. My brother was dead. It felt like yesterday that she was saying goodbye to him and Jake. I was numb the rest of the day. Not really feeling anything. I couldn't even recorded a video log. I tried to smile, but I just couldn't. 

I didn't sleep well either. I kept tossing and turning, before giving up. I only managed to get four hours of sleep, before I decided to get up. I showered, and grabbed a quick bite to eat before heading to the link room.

"You're here early." Max observed.

"Couldn't sleep. Is there any chances I can have an early run?"

"Let me check."

While Max checked, I walked over to the window that led to the room where our avatars were being held. I saw that there were three beds, but only one avatar was laying there. I could tell it was mine from the body shape. A few things stood out. The skin was lighter in color, the arms, and legs were wider and seem to have fin-like protrusions.

"Max," I called out. "Why is mine different?"

"We don't know. There's a possibility that your avatar is from a different tribe. There's another thing. Your avatar is one of the tallest we've ever had."

"Just my luck. So, about that test run...?"

Max chuckled.

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait for the others. But I can take you for a personal look."

"Thank you, Max!" I said, trying not to to jump in excitement.