Chapter 14: Extracurricular

Again, I apologize for the late update. I have been through a lot recently, and I'd rather not discuss it in detail here. I just hope you all enjoy.
______________________________________________
It's not that Team CRDL were particularly bad fighters. They were decent enough, they got the job done. If they had entered the Academy at any other year, they might have actually stood out. Unfortunately, they had the displeasure of being in the same class as multiple children of professional Hunters, the Schnee family heiress, a veteran White Fang formerly, many orphans with little to lose, whatever the hell Team ATUM was, and, most pertinent to the current moment...

Cardin crashed to the floor and let out a "Lucky shot..." before collapsing in a heap with his teammates.

The untouched champion of Mistral.

"And that's the match," Glynda proclaimed. "Well done, Miss Nikos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament."

Pyrrha bowed in humble gratitude, "Thank you, professor."

Glynda tapped her Scroll," Alright, now I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match. Any volunteers?"

She looked up at a certain secret Faunus, ignoring the impatiently waiting hands of Hazel and Weiss, "Ms. Belladonna?"

Blake snapped to attention, dark bags under her eyes, Glynda continuing, "You've been rather docile for the past few classes. Why don't you-"

"I'll do it."

All eyes turned to one of the few foreign students that chose to temporarily transfer to Beacon until the Vytal Festival was over. His name was Mercury Black, who belonged to Team CMNE (Carmine) from Mistral with Cinder Fall, Emerald Sustrai, and one final member that nobody had met yet. They seemed nice enough to everyone, but were sort of enigmas at the same time. They were just kinda... weird.

"Mercury, is it?" Glynda addressed. "Very well, let's find you an opponent."

"Actually," Mercury responded, pointing at Pyrrha, "I wanna fight her."

Pyrrha pointed at herself in confusion, "Me?"

Skyler raised an eyebrow highly at that. Did this guy not see what just happened? Scratch that, Mercury and his team were from Mistral, so he wanted to fight her even with her reputation? Whenever Pyrrha was picked out as someone's opponent, whoever said opponent was always groaned and wondered what they did that day to suffer such a fate.

'So what is this guy's deal?' Team SHDW's leader pondered.

"I'm afraid Miss Nikos has just finished the match," Glynda initially refused. "I recommend you choose another partner."

"No, it's fine!" Pyrrha interrupted with a smile. "I'd be happy to oblige."
______________________________________________
While Skyler would've liked to think that Mercury had realized the error of his ways early on in the fight, but part of him seriously doubted that. There was no doubt that Mercury's forfeit was suspicious, but as to what that might imply left Skyler scratching his head. Why would someone be so insistent on fighting Pyrrha only to simply give up not even thirty seconds later?

Regardless of reasons, there was enough time for one random selection of two fighters, and that just so happened to be...

"Nora! Uriel! You're up," Goodwitch announced.

Uriel gulped a little while Nora giggled excitedly, jumping down into the arena. He soon followed with a sigh, receiving a sympathetic pat on the back from Meta. Nora hefted Magnhild over her shoulder while Uriel fell into the area soon after, brandishing his sword pulled out from his winged armor, Adramelech Bane. He knew that close combat with Nora was what one would call "suicide", but he had very few options otherwise.