0.1

Cast above

Valentine (Val)

I sat in the mess hall eating at the table with my friends. The food looked like slop but it's probably the best Ms. M. would make all week.

"So I heard Ms. M. order food from Ristorante Fuoro for Friday." My friend Maria said excitedly.

"I doubt it's for us." I said with a confused look.

"Val, she ordered for 50." Maria said smiling. I didn't want to get my hopes up we rarely ever get good food and I don't think it's going to start now.

"Okay. We'll see." I smiled before picking up my completely full tray and dumping it.

I decided to go up to my room on the third level of the orphanage. This place is pretty big but we're basically just a big family. We have to be, we all help each other with homework , we all help clean, we all help with the younger children and we all are pretty sad to see the younger ones go.

Ms. M and Ms. B are basically like our parents. Ms. B is in charge of the younger kids and Mrs. M is in charge of us of older kids. Of course they help each other when it's needed though.

I walked out of the busy mess hall and down the wide hallway to the elevator I rode it to the second floor and decided to check on the kids in there rooms before going to mine.

I knocked on Sofia's door. She's four and is very independent. She opened it and looked up at me before screaming and laughing while running away knowing I usually tickle her. I laughed and chased her into the room.

"Sofia, hows your homework going." We turned to see Ms. B in the doorway.

"Good, I'm all done." She said showing her the flower she drew.

"Good job. Why don't you go show Millie in the hall she finished hers as well." Ms. B told her with a smile.

I feel like she wants to talk to me for some reason.

"Okay." Sofia said and trotted out of the room.

"Ms. Colombo. I think we should talk." She smiled.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked frantically.

"No. Of course not. I just need to make you aware of something." She was kind of nervous.

"What is it?"

"In this orphanage when a child turns 16 they are given two months left in the home so you call it and then they are sent to the states, and the foster system until there 18."

"What? Why am I just hearing of this?"

"It hasn't been used in a very long time. Most are adopted by the age of 14, which most of your friends are. I'm said to say, but your the oldest one here."

"Well why didn't you tell me?" I asked panicked. I've grown up here and I don't want to be shipped off to another country and forced to learn their ways and be forced to do lord knows what.

"I couldn't tell you being so close to your birthday. I wouldn't worry right now though. There's five people signed up this Friday to see you kids."

"There's 20 kids here and I'm the oldest I doubt I'm getting adopted. I might as well pack for America now." I saw the pain in her eye, but the pain I felt was a thousand times worse.

—-
Short I know but it gets better.