0.2

Val.

It's Friday, we were told we were getting a surprise today. I assume that it's something to do with what Maria said in the cafeteria earlier this week.

Ever since I has that talk with Ms. B I haven't really been the most cheerful. The kids don't really understand why, but I don't want to tell them. I don't want them to be scared of growing up.

I decided to get dressed. My roommate, Frankie, was already down stairs in the Rec. Hall. We all meet there to hang out until we have group discussions at 2 to express ourselves. They think that since we are growing children we need an outlet where we can express ourselves with no backlash. No one can get in trouble for what is said in group and no one can repeat what anyone said after group.

I grabbed my pink and grey contrast alien hoodie from my closet and slipped it on too my thin curve-less body. I walked effortlessly to my dresser and pulled out a pair of ripped black leggings. I slipped them onto my bony legs. I looked in the mirror realizing my hair was a mess. I grabbed my hair brush and quickly brushed into poofy space buns. I smiled and swiftly walked out the door.

I leaped down the stairs and saw my friend, Kaleb, at the bottom.

"what's up?" I asked.

"Nothing really. Just wondering what our surprise is." He smiled.

"Me too." I laughed.

"We should probably head in." He said looking at the time on his watch. It's 1:47. I walked in the Rec. Room and went to sit with Maria and Frankie.

Mrs. M walked into the room.

"Are you guys ready for group?" Mrs. M asked walking through the big steel doors. It was followed by multiple yea's and a group of idiot guys screaming in the corner.

"Calm down Cody." She laughed.

"So who wants to go first?" She continued.

Multiple people around the small room raised there hands. She pulled out a jar of popsicle sticks with our names on them.

"May the odds be ever in your favor." She joked. She reached in and pulled out a purple popsicle stick and looked right at me.

"Val. How are you feeling today?"

"Stressed." I admitted.

"I feel like it's too late for me, like I'm too old and I'm not gonna get adopted and there's nothing I can do about it." I continued.

"What makes you feel like that?" Mrs. M asked.

"Earlier this week I was told if I don't get adopted in the next few months I'm basically getting shipped to America and put in the foster system. I know it's mandatory for the orphanage but it makes me feel unwanted here like everyone just wants me gone," I said and everyone looked shocked.

"I understand your pain, but we can't change protocol." Mrs. M said.

-

After group I decided to skip dinner and go up to my room. I just need to think and escape everything for a bit. I had my music on listening to blink- 182 it's kinda old school but reminds me of before my parents died. They always loved their music. I laid quietly listening to the loud racket down in the mess hall.

I closed my eyes right as someone knocked on my old oak door.

I croaked a "come in." The door opened and too my surprise it was a younger man with curly blonde, and semi long hair.

"Um, not to be rude, but who the hell are you?"

———