Chapter 50

The exit to the forest was growing near. We could see the empty road and pavements, but as we drew closer, I suddenly stop, causing Toby to stop also, staring at me in confusion.
"[Name]? C-Come on! We're almost-"
Before he could finish, I raise my hand to stop him, pushing a shushing sound through my teeth to silence him.
"Shhh, can you hear that?"
I whisper as I tilt my head a little to hear the sounds better, closing my eyes. The faint distant cries of a child fills my ear drums, allowing me to finally realise what the noise was.
Slamming my eyes open, I grab Toby's arm and pull him back through the forest trees where we had just come.
"There's a child in here! She sounds hurt!"
"N-No ! [Name] remember! It's all a trick!"
He yells, coming to a stop and yanking my arm, causing me to turn and look to him.
"I t-told you that tricks would be played on you. I can hear it too. I-I-It's fake."
"How do you know? How can you be sure this is fake? What if it's a real little girl who is lost? Perhaps she followed us in and is now lost?!"
Toby shakes his head with a sigh, squeezing my arm.
"[Name] no. Th-That wouldn't have happened. Please t-tr-trust me on this."
I did trust Toby of course, but the girl just sounded so real.
I lower my head and nod. He sighs a breath of relief and lets my arm go. He turns back and heads towards the forest edge, I follow him closely. But suddenly, as the exit was near again, I hear the same female child cry. But this was more of a scream, a scream for help to be exact. I couldn't stand and let this happen. Quickly, I turn back and make a run for it into the trees. Toby must have heard my increasing footsteps and his angry voice calls my name from behind.

Every time I think I reach the source. I find nothing. I can still hear the girl but I can't find her. I can't imagine the pain she must be in, it sounds as if she's in agony. The poor soul. Come on [Name]. We have to find her! As I search around in the trees, the atmosphere started to change, becoming foggy and misty. Which was bad as I was no longer with Toby. So now I was alone in an eerie forest with the background sound of a screaming crying child.
I begin to grow fearful and give up hope but I finally spot something. A figure of something small. As I walk closer to it, the crying sound increases. I knew this was the girl. Rushing to her, I call out to her, getting her attention but she doesn't respond. Just continues to cry. Maybe she didn't hear me.
Finally I reach her. The poor thing. She looked awfully cold and so scared. She had messy brown hair and a ripped pink dress covered in mud and blood stains. Her weeping eyes were a beautiful glossy green. But the thing that stood out the most, was the blood on her face. Dripping from her hairline.
Crouching down to her level, I cradle her face with my hands, wiping her tears. Her crying begins to stop to sniffles and low sobs.
"What happened sweetie? Did someone hurt you? Where's your mother?"
I question. But as soon as I finish, her sobs instantly stop. Her large eyes fix on me like a lethal death stare. Her stern expression changes to that if an evil grin, reaching up her cheeks on both sides. Beginning to laugh menacingly, I force myself away from her, standing to my feet. But her laugh only grows. Taking a step back to prepare to run, she stops laughing. Her expression returning to a stern glare. I take another step back but this seemed to anger her. Suddenly, she snaps her head back, letting out an ear piercing scream. I couldn't even run away. All I could do was crouch to the floor. Covering my ears from the agony of her high pitches scream.
Soon enough she stops, finishing with a giggle. But before I could move, something hits the back of my head, causing me to instantly fall unconscious.