12. the art of conversation

Seb tried to keep his gait as normal as possible; something that should have been easy under any other circumstances, but all  he wanted to do was skip with all the happiness that soared through him. It was bubbling from his stomach all the way out to his limbs. His cheeks hurt from all the smiling.

Kaiden was holding his hand and they had kissed, twice!  

He stole a glance at the beauty walking beside him. Kaiden looked so calm, like he owned the world. Not in a bad way, but in a good way. There was no haughtiness, just a lot of self confidence. He still didn't believe that Kaiden was nervous, but right now he didn't care. At least he'd forgotten to worry about if this was a potential scam or not. He knew he might be a little naive, but he desperately wanted to trust Kaiden and his intentions.

It would just be too cruel to stage this and then leave him hanging, and Kaiden didn't strike him as cruel.

They walked under the faint street lights, and the silence between them was rather comfortable. Seb was a little bit afriad to strike a conversation, but Kaiden didn't seem to mind.

However, they didn't walk far before Kaiden said: "You know, I've always loved this city at night."

It was a pretty odd thing to say, but Seb agreed. It was way calmer at this time. In a few hours the streets would be filled with intoxicated people, so this was the calm before the storm.

"Yes, I like it too. But I guess it's not going to be this pleasant in a few hours.

"Don't worry, I'll take you home safely."

Seb caught the words and felt a bit fuzzy, even if he hadn't had a single drop of alcohol. Kaiden would take him home... He knew it wasn't a big thing, really, but it was for him.

"Thank you," Seb murmured, even if he was unsure whether to tell Kaiden or not. Perhaps it was un-cool.

"Of course I'm taking you, cutie, wouldn't miss to sneak a peek at your home so I know where to find you." Kaiden winked, and Seb got hot all over despite the chilly night air.

They went passed a few bars where men and women sat with their fingers laced around fancy glasses. Neither of the places seemed like a good alternative for their evening snack. Eventually they found a small little diner. Seb relaxed, he was worried they would hit a fancier restaurant, and he didn't have so much money in his pocket.

"Let's hope we can avoid irritating waiters this time around," Kaiden said as they went inside.

Seb looked up, and finally he had the courage to ask something he'd been thinking on for a little while. "You didn't know Lucas worked at that other place, right?" He asked because he found it a little odd that Kaiden would take him there otherwise.

"No, I didn't know. The worst part is that I think he applied for a job at that place just to piss me off."

"You really think he would do that?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. He's an ass. I wish I'd known earlier."

"I'm sorry he did that to you.  I mean, ditch you because you're gay..." Seb silenced, he didn't know why he'd said that last part. It felt weird. He wanted to save the situation, but he couldn't find the words. He was afraid he would make it worse instead.

"I'm sorry too, but I'm not sorry I finally got to see his true colors."

Seb let out some air in relief. He had to stop doing this, saying things that might go terribly wrong.

Kaiden gave him a crooked smile and pulled out a chair for Seb. He only blinked, staring at the chair and then back towards Kaiden. "Cutie, don't just stand there," Kaiden said, winking again. Gosh, Seb loved those winks. It was like he was allowed into Kaiden's little secret world or something. Another ridiculous notion, but he couldn't help it. Everything Kaiden did seemed to affect him one way or another.

He took a hesitant step and sat down. As he did, Kaiden put a hand on his shoulder, and he almost crumbled beneath the touch. He had never felt anything like it. He was way to sensitive right now, and even if it felt awesome, it made him feel like that silly virgin boy he didn't want to identify with.

A waiter reached them the second Kaiden sat down, effectively restoring Seb's concentration. "Welcome, would you like to start with some drinks while you decide?" she said. Seb looked up into her brown eyes and was relieved to see an unfamiliar but kind face.

"I'll have a coke, you want something, Seb?"

"I'll have one too," he replied.

"Coming right up," the waiter replied as she put down two menus in front of them and went on her way.

"So, we're actually in the same school, for real?" Seb blurted out.

Kaiden chuckled. It was a soft sound, not hoarse or mean, just soft and relaxing. "Yes, we are. You don't believe me?"

"Of course I do," Seb answered quickly. He hadn't meant it like that. He didn't mean to imply that Kaiden was lying.

Kaiden chuckled again, and this time Seb was pretty sure that Kaiden laughed at him, not with him.

"Don't worry about it, Seb. I'm not hurt because you haven't seen me. If I'd been a little bit braver I would have talked to you long ago."

He wanted to ask how long ago, but he didn't dare.

"So, what are you having?" Kaiden said as he opened the menu. Seb hadn't opened his yet, so he did the same and skimmed through the choices. He wanted a burger, but wondered if that was a good thing to eat on a first date. One looked a bit odd while eating burgers. Worst case you ended up with dressing all over your face and salad in your knee.

"I don't know," he replied to buy himself some time.

"I think I'll go for a burger. I'm desperate for some unhealthy stuff."

Seb grinned. "I'll have the same." If Kaiden would eat a burger, so would he.

Twenty minutes later the waiter came out with their plates. They'd talked a great deal during that time, and Seb relaxed more and more in Kaiden's company. Of course, he was still all jittery with emotion, but it was getting easier to talk.

"Here you go guys," the waiter said. "Anything else I can get for you?"

"No thanks, not for me. What about you, Seb?" Kaiden asked.

"I'm fine too," he replied, and the waiter skipped away after winking towards him. What did that mean? he wondered.

He looked at Kaiden. His face must have looked like a question mark, because Kaiden started laughing. "She totally tried to flirt, Seb."

"What?"

"Yeah, she was eyeing you like she wanted to gobble you up."

"Well, she can't, I'm taken!" Seb said. His eyes became wide as saucers as he realized what he'd just said. OMG

"You referring to us?" Kaiden said, and Seb thought he heard a little bit of hope in Kaiden's voice. Could it be? He didn't know if he dared to think that way. On the other hand, he had to reply, and if he said it was someone else he would be lying, and it would probably ruin everything. There was only one thing he could do.

"Yeah..." he whispered.