15. saved by the boat

Seb woke up to a soft knock on his door. The room was bathed in morning light: he must have forgotten to lower the blinds the night before. The knock sounded again, just as soft as the first one. It was a tell tale sign that it was is dad. 

He got out of bed and padded to the door. Rubbing his eyes from sleep, he opened and allowed his dad to get inside. 

"She's still pissed," his dad said. Seb could see that he was troubled, and on top of that he looked very tired. "Never slept on the couch in my own house before."

Seb didn't know what he was supposed to say. He was pretty sure his dad wasn't here to make him feel bad, but that happened regardless. He didn't want his dad to suffer for things that he'd done. 

"I'm sorry, Dad."

"It's not your fault, Seb. Don't know what's gotten into her lately. She's become worse and worse." Seb agreed, but didn't want his dad to know. It was an odd subject, and he wasn't sure he wanted to have this discussion with his dad. He knew he should love his mother, and he did, but he also saw how she ruined things around her. He didn't want his dad to become one of those things, or persons.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he asked, even if he didn't want his dad to say yes. He was worried that he would say the wrong things. 

"I don't think we should discuss your mother like that. She's your mother after all."

"She's your wife," Seb countered. 

"That doesn't mean I have to agree with her."

"True."

His dad entered and closed the door behind him. The room wasn't big, so the only place to sit was either the bed, or on the chair beside Seb's desk that was littered with drawings and doodles. "Mind if I sit down?" his dad asked, gesturing at the chair.

"Not at all," Seb replied. While his dad sat down, he got back to his bed and wrapped the cover around his shoulders. 

"You shouldn't mind your mother. Not this time. Don't let her ruin your chances with..." There was a hint of a question in the end of that statement, so Seb filled it with 'Kaiden'. His dad smiled. "Don't let her ruin things with Kaiden. I know you've had a hard time with friends, so don't pull back when things are going for you. You have to live, Seb, even if she doesn't understand that."

He smiled towards his dad. Support like this didn't come often, but when offered, it was always at the right moment. He needed his dad's approval, otherwise it would be too difficult. 

"I'm still grounded I guess," he said, hoping that his dad would say 'No'. His dad reluctantly shook his head. 

"I wasn't able to talk her out of it."

"It's alright."

"No it's not. You didn't do anything wrong, Seb. Don't think for a second that you did. Don't feel guilty."

"Thanks dad," he said, and he meant it, he really did. It was so easy to become wrapped up in his mothers accusations. 

"However, I'm going to take your mother out on a boating trip today, surprising her with an over-nighter."

Seb stared into his dad's dark brown eyes. He couldn't believe it. "Really?" he said, since it was the only response that came to his mind.

His dad laughed out loud. "Yes, really. I'm giving you a night to do with as you please, but I don't want a call from the police saying that you're in a holding cell."

"Don't worry, Dad, I won't drink."

"That's what I thought. I trust you, Seb, even if your mother doesn't. You're a good kid, much better than I ever was." His dad got up, patted his shoulder and left the room. 

Seb stared at the door, not yet able to process everything. He thought of all the things he could do if he had the house to himself. He wondered if he was ready to have Kaiden over, but just thinking about the possibility made him so nervous that he discarded the suggestion right away. He snatched his phone from the night stand and pulled up his messages. He read the one he'd received from Kaiden late last night. He hadn't replied to it yet, and now he wasn't sure how to do it. Instead he wrote one to Tyra. 

Need help! 

He sent it, and regretted it right away. That could be interpreted in so many bad ways. He started typing another one. 

I've got the house to myself, should I invite Kaiden?

He pushed send, and started biting his nails while waiting. 

You dork, of course you should. Do you want us to come over as well?

That was the awesome thing with Tyra. She had simple solutions for everything. 

That would be great! Can you talk to Dyl?

I'll text him right away. When should we be there?

Dunno yet, text you soon.

After that last text, he realized that he had to message Kaiden. His hands turned clammy at the thought, so it became hard to type on the screen. After several attempts he pressed send and hoped that Kaiden would be able to come. It didn't pass more than five seconds until he got a reply. 

If I can't make it, I'm probably abducted or murdered, count me in! xx

The text made Seb smile like he had just won a million dollar. He even pinched his arm to make sure he wasn't dreaming. 

A couple of hours later, his parents left the house. His mother didn't say a word aside from her order that he had to stay inside the house until they were home. He didn't know how she planned to enforce that, but it wasn't a problem: he was staying put. He had texted Tyra to come, and she promptly answered that she was on her way, picking up Dylan and Zach on the way. Kaiden was also on his way, and for a short moment he was worried that Kaiden would come before the others. It wasn't that he wouldn't enjoy it, but he had no idea how to act. 

He didn't have time to worry for long. Ten minutes after his parents' exit, an unfamiliar knock sounded at the front door. Tyra always banged three times, while Dyl used the doorbell. This one was only two knocks, and that was enough to make his heart race in his chest. 

He forced himself to take normal steps towards the hallway: it would be embarrassing if Kaiden heard that he ran inside his own house. 

He took a deep breath, pulled down the handle and opened up. 

"Hi," Kaiden said, grinning from ear to ear before wrapping his arms around Seb as if it was the most natural thing in the world. 

"Hi," Seb replied, nestling his arms around Kaiden's waist, shutting his eyes closed while inhaling Kaiden's intoxicating scent. 

Kaiden detached himself a little, so that they could see each other, but held his arms in place. "So, your friends are coming too?" Kaiden didn't sound disappointed, but in that moment, when everything seemed so easy and wonderful, Seb regretted that he had invited the others. However, it was too late to change his mind. 

"Yes, they should be here soon."

"Cool, I can't wait to meet them."

"You sure?" Seb asked, suddenly feeling a little self-conscious about the whole deal. 

"Of course I am, even if I plan to have you for myself whenever I can," Kaiden finished, and put a soft kiss on Seb's lips. A kiss that was rudely interrupted by Tyra's excited yelp. 

"Oh my God, I'm surrounded by men doing the dirty!" She didn't sound sad in the least, and if that didn't give her away, her grin definitely did. 

"Tyra, shut up!" Dylan said behind her, tugging Zach with him towards the house.

"Wash your dirty mouth, Dyl!" Tyra bit back. Seb felt Kaiden's chuckles where their bodies pressed together. Perhaps this wasn't so bad after all. He wanted Kaiden to like his friends, and he wanted them to like Kaiden. In fact, he needed them to like each other, because in that moment, everything felt perfect.