37| Possibilities

•Kion•

The bright beam of the sun spread out across the savannah, waking up life in all corners. River and streamed glistened, splashing and splurging everywhere. Flowers began to spread their petals, the sweet mixture of different scents filling the air. Animals of all kinds began to wake up and begin their days.

It was beginning to shift to early afternoon. I rolled over my large body with a groan, shaking my messy red mane out of my eyes. I noticed my wife wasn't present beside me. I stood up quickly and began to panic, stretching and walking out of the cave in search for her.

Walking up the rocky steps, I saw my son exiting the cavern with a stretch as well.

"Hello son. How did you sleep?" I asked.

"That's the best sleep I've had in a long while." He smiled.

"Yeah... um have you seen your mother anywhere around here?"

He nodded. "Oh yeah, I think she's behind Pride Rock with Aunt Kiara."

I smiled and began walking towards there. "Thank you."

I walked behind Pride Rock and saw many lionesses either sunbathing, gossiping or grooming their cubs. I approached my wife and sister who were having a talk as well. They looked up and Kiara smiled seeing me come forward.

"Goodmorning Kion!" Kiara greeted. I head bud her.

"Morning sis. How are you and Kovu doing?"

Her smile dropped and her ears fell flat. She frowned a little. "Not so great. We haven't spoken at all since last night. This morning all he gave me was a head nod before leaving out to go on patrol. I must've really struck a nerve or upset him."

"We all know how Kovu is, but don't worry about it. You two will be back on and talking in no time. Just allow him to cool down." I said.

"You're right, thanks little brother." She laughed.

I shifted my eyes to Arielle, who was looking down as well with a glum look on her face.

"Honey? Are you alright?"

She shook her head. "Not really. Uh, can we talk for a minute?"

I nodded nervously, but didn't let it show. "Of course. Come on to our den."

She stood up on her four swollen paws. I helped her walk down the rocky steps and into our private little home. Once there, she sat across from me.

"What's the matter, my love? Did I do something wrong?" I asked, feeling upset.

"Of course not. It's just, this whole hyena mess. We aren't living the same way at all anymore. We constantly have to peek around our shoulders and watch our backs. You've barely been home at all lately, out patrolling with the King twenty four seven. The future of our unborn cub, it's making me worry. I don't want our baby growing up in an unsafe environment." She began to cry. Her mood swings are beginning to kick in. I walked up and nuzzled her.

"I know love, I know. The hyenas are definitely causing some tension around here, but Kovu and I will get to the bottom of this. Our cub will be able to grow up in a safe and loving home, with a large family. Nothing will happen to them, you, or Kibwe on my watch." She smiled and wiped her tears away.

"Speaking of our cub, we have to start coming up with names. What are you hoping for us to have?" She asked, laying down.

"I want another boy."

She blushed, looking down. "I wouldn't mind having a girl.."

My eyes bulged. "If we do end up having a daughter, she will have some serious rules to follow. Kibwe will be her protector, along with me. No talking to boys until she's way older! Not even looking at any boys!"

She laughed loudly, pawing at my face. "Oh hush!"

I laughed along with her. "I'll be blessed with whatever we have. No matter what the outcome, I will love him/her."

She licked my cheek. "That's great. Now let's discuss names. The possibilities are endless!"

I lifted a brow and thought to myself.

"Hmmm okay. Let's come up with boy names first."

She chuckled. "Okay."

"Hmmm, maybe Haji?"

"Hah.."

"Oooh how about Kwame?"

"Heh, how about we take a break from the K's? I mean we already have a Kion and Kibwe."

"True.."

I came up with one. "How about Ashura? I heard from Rafiki that in Swahili it means 'friend or the one who accompanies'."

"Awww, I love it! Ashura is perfect." She smiled widely.

"Alright, girl names next." I said.

"Maybe Bebi?"

"Hmmmm, we can come back to that one.."

"Dalila?"

"That's a cute one!"

"Or Hanna!"

"That's good! How about Inaya?"

I gasped. "Inaya! That's perfect!"

She glanced down at her belly. I placed my large paw on it.

"My little Ashura is in there.."

"Or my little Inaya." She replied.

Which will it be, boy or girl? Ashura or Inaya? Only time will tell...