03-Chapter Three

My mom thought it would be nice to throw me a small birthday party to celebrate that I was turning eighteen. I told her over and over again no, because I definitely didn't want to have a party with bunch of aunts and uncles. I couldn't stand even seeing my cousins once a year for thanksgiving. But she ignored me as always and invited everyone.

She also insisted that I brought Ivy too, since we had been dating for three months. But my mom didn't know that we were fighting. So I just told her that Ivy was really sick, but I'd ask. The next day at school however I saw her in the hallway. I gave her a wave but she just turned around and walked over to her friends. I just let out a deep rough sigh and balled my fists.

"What's wrong?." Ian asked. I looked over at him. He had his eyebrows raised at me.

I didn't usually talk girl problems with Ian. That was weird to me. Besides, I didn't even care enough about it. So, I brushed it off and told him something else. "Mom's up my ass about this birthday." I said.

Ian smiled, letting out a bit of laughter. He thought it was hilarious. And yeah I'd probably be laughing too if it wasn't me getting this "middle school" birthday party. "That's still happening?" He said.

I nodded. "Right after school." I said. "And I have to basically babysit my cousins." Entertaining them was exhausting. Especially since most of them were half my age.

"So Asha's going to be there?" Ian asked.

I scrunched my eyebrows at him. He couldn't be serious? "She's fifteen?" I said.

aHe shrugged his shoulders. "You're acting like I'm eighty-six."

I shook my head. Ian was seventeen but that was still weird to me. He was a senior, she was a freshman. Besides, she was still like a little sister to me. "What happened to Eva?" I said.

Ian shrugged his shoulders. "She's too uptight." He said. "She wouldn't even give it up."

I chewed on the inside of my lip. I wish I had that problem, I thought. "Then try some other girl." I said. "You're not sleeping with my cousin."

I tightened my grip on my backpack. "Fine." He said with a huff. "Can I at least come over and get some cake?"

I gave him a smirk. "Yeah, if you beat me in a drill at practice" I said. "Then, maybe you can have some cake."

He sighed. "But you always win!" He complained.

"Then I suggest you don't suck." I said.

Family member after family member poured into the house. They were from everywhere. Asha's family even came all the way from New York. When people came, I had to greet every single person with a handshake. The adults lingered around the living room drinking away, while the kids ran upstairs to play with my Xbox.

When everyone was inside, I had to sit in the kitchen and watch over the casserole that was popped in the oven. My cousin Asha was standing by the stove stirring the gravy. Since we were the oldest, we had to do most of the cooking.

Asha was a beautiful girl. She had her hair in a million braids, falling down her back. She had strong bone structure, and a button nose with thick lips. Her skin was dark chocolate, and smooth. She was adopted by my dad's brother.

"So what's it like living in New York?" I asked. I was trying to make conversation. She was the only cousin I liked, so I might as well.

Asha looked up. "It's like living in a whole different world." She said with a mix of accents.

I raised my eyebrows. "Really?"

She nodded. "Yeah." She said still stirring. "There's dragons flying above the city, and fairies swarming through the streets."

I narrowed my eyes at her sarcasm. "Seriously?"

She chuckled. "I'm kidding. She said. "It's...Busy." I cracked a smile, leaning against the kitchen counter.

There was a loud chime that went throughout the house. It was the doorbell. My first instinct usually was to ignore and wait for my parents to get it, but hoping that it would be Ian, I headed towards the hallway to get to the door.

When I got to the front I opened the door up, revealing who was behind. My shoulders lowered when I realized it wasn't Ian. It was Mr. Harrison, from across the street. He saw me and gave me a smile.

He was wearing a blue dress shirt complementing his eyes. It wrapped tightly around his muscles. He also had on a pair of khakis and some sparries. He looked like he was about to hop on a yacht. He definitely knew how to dress expensively.

"Sup?" I said plainly crossing my arms.

Mr. Harrison furrowed his eyebrows confused at my slang. "Afternoon." He said. "I just wanted to drop these off." He held out his hand. It was a couple of envelops that I guess the mailman had dropped off there by mistake. I took them, glazing my eyes over them for a second.

"Thanks." I said looking back up at him. He nodded.

"Mr. Harrison?" My mom came up behind me smiling like she was looking at her crush. She twirled her hair as she looked down at him, "How are you?"

Mr. Harrison stuck his hands into his pockets. "I'm fine, and you?" He asked with a smile.

She nodded. "I'm alright." She put her hand on my shoulder. "Will here is having a birthday party. He's turning the big eighteen!"

His eyes moved back over to me. For a second they went over my body examining me. "Eighteen?" He said with a weird tone. I could feel my cheeks burn a little. Why did he say eighteen like that?

My mom nodded. "Why don't you come in, have some cake?"

I raised my eyebrows and crossing my arms. "You really don't have to." I said. I didn't know Mr. Harrison. It was weird for my mom to just invite him in like I did. Besides, it was a bit awkward still since he called me cute the other day.

My mom pinched me on my shoulder. I winced. "Ow!" I said grabbing it. It felt like I was stung by a million bees at the same time.

Mr. Harrison chuckled. "I'm fine, really." He said. "I have a meeting with a friend."

My mom's face dropped of course. "Aw, well maybe next week then?" She spoke. "You should really come over for dinner."

Mr. Harrison nodded. "I'll keep it in mind." He said. He gave a small wave, then turned around, disappearing back over to him house.

I turned over to my mom who was giving me the look. "William Evan Richardson-"

There was a loud continuous beep that erupted before she could finish the sentence. We both looked over towards the kitchen. It was the smoke alarm.

"Uh oh..." I said.