Chapter 13 (Origins)

Third Person POV

Five Years Ago:

"Uncle Fu! You came!" You exclaimed, rushing to your beloved uncle. The man smiled and laughed warmly as the two of you embraced each other. "Of course, Y/n! I wouldn't miss your one-and-only ninth birthday for the world." Fu assured you as you smiled.

"Did you bring a present? Did you?" You asked him as you hopped around in excitement. Your uncle always brought you the best gifts out of everyone including your own parents. It was like he knew exactly what you wanted each year and you treasured everything he gave you.

Fu smiled at you, pulling out a small black box from his pocket. "Right here." He said as he held out the box for you to see.

You started to reach out for it until your uncle pulled it away. "Not so fast, Maomi." He wagged his finger, calling you by your nickname. Your hands lowered, signifying your puzzlement and inquisitiveness.

"This gift is special. You must only open it when your party is over." Fu explained, piquing your interest. "Once it is, I'll open it with you. You may need me to explain some things." He smiled excitedly at you as your eyes filled with anticipation.

"Really?" You marvelled, speaking softly. Your uncle nodded as he stood up straight and took your hand. "But for now, it's time to celebrate!" He cheered as you laughed, him leading you to the living room where everyone else was gathered.

"There's the birthday girl!" Your dad beamed as you laughed more. "Looks like it's time for pizza!" Your grandma called from the kitchen, grinning as she set it in the table for you and your family to eat.

"Yes!" You cheered happily, taking a seat and being followed by the rest of your family.

The reason you were having a party with only your family and not any friends was because you simply didn't have any. You didn't mind that much, although you did hear rumours that a new girl was going to be joining your class soon. And although you had no idea who she was, you made it your goal to befriend her once she came.

Pushing your thoughts aside, you started eating your pizza. You ended up eating three slices until your birthday cake came.

You smiled with expectancy as the lights turned off and everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to you. The fondant on the cake was your favourite colour, (f/c) and "Happy Birthday, (Y/n)!" was written in velvety (s/f/c) icing in the middle. The cake was also decorated with nine flaming candles that you couldn't wait to blow out.

"Make a wish, sweetie." Your mom encouraged you, smiling with pride. You closed your eyes, thinking of a wish. I wish that I could be a superhero like uncle Fu one day. You wished.

Then, you blew your candles out. "Yes! One breath!" You cheered as everyone else clapped, laughter filling the room.

The cake was good. Really good. It was probably the best cake you'd ever had. As you ate it, it seemed that everyone else thought so too.

And for the first time in years, you felt alone. You felt lonely without friends, even though you had been fine with it before, you just couldn't figure out why you were only just feeling this feeling now.

"Hey, Maomi?" Uncle Fu tapped you on the shoulder as you turned to look at him. "You OK?" You smiled at his concern. "Yeah! I'm totally fine!" You chuckled reassuringly. He sighed, smiling.

"If you say so. Hey, how about a little singing? That always cheers you up!" Your uncle suggested as he gestured for you to follow him. "But I told you, I'm not-" "Doesn't matter!" He interrupted. "Everyone loves when you sing! Please?" Fu pleaded as you tried to suppress a smile.

You sighed. "Here, pass me the mic." You caved as your uncle smiled in triumph. You already had a microphone ready with speakers because of how often you sang. Everyone who had ever heard your singing said you sounded absolutely amazing, so you decided to sing all the time.

And so, you got up in front of everyone and sang them your favourite song. Of course, they all loved it. Cheers broke out afterwards and your family then demanded you to start unwrapping your presents.

Most of the things you got were things you'd wanted for a while, and were grateful for. Things like a karaoke machine, a drawing book/a video game (whichever you'd prefer) and other things.

But the one present you were looking forward to the most was your uncle Fu's present. The one he said you could open at the end of the party.

And so you waited. And waited. Patiently, you anxiously waited for the time to come. For your party to end. And when it did, and the last people left, your uncle turned to you.

"So, are you ready for your present?" He asked with a smile. You nodded your head rapidly, excited for his mysterious present. "Let's go upstairs to your room. You can open it there." He told you, taking your hand and heading towards your bedroom.

Once you got there, you both sat on your bed, your eyes filled with energy. "Here." Your uncle said as he took out the box. "Open it." At his words you gingerly took hold of the box, one hand on the bottom and one on the lid.

You then opened it, to find that what was in the box changed your life.

A bright blue light formed, startling you and forcing you to look away. After a few seconds you looked back, only to see a small snow leopard with bright grey eyes hovering in front of you.

"Gah!" You exclaimed as you stumbled back into the bed. "U-uncle Fu! What is that!?" You shouted, pointing frantically at the creature in front of you. "Hey, master Fu, who's this?" The creature asked, looking at your uncle.

"Huh? Uncle Fu..." You looked at him as he smiled calmly. "Y/n, this is Quince. Quince, this is Y/n, my niece." He introduced.

He then glanced at the box in your hand. You hesitantly looked at it, seeing a silver chain necklace with a(n) (f/c) cat paw pendant. You held it up to get a better look at it.

"It's beautiful." You commented, palming the pendant. "But how is this supposed to explain that!?" You pointed at the small hovering cat.

The creature sighed. "I am not a 'that,' I am a he. Also, I'm what's known as a Kwami." He explained as you looked at your uncle.

"What Quince means to tell you is that he, as a Kwami, can grant you powers. The power he grants specifically is hypnosis." Your uncle revealed.

Your eyes suddenly lit up. "Wait, does that mean you have a Kwami? That's how you're a superhero?" You questioned uncle Fu, to which he nodded.

"Here, you can meet Wayzz now!" The old man proposed as another Kwami came out from behind him. Only this one was a turtle. "Hello. I'm Wayzz. You must be Y/n." He said, smiling.

"H-hello Wayzz." You greeted softly, smiling. "Now, let's test out your transformation, shall we?" Quince suggested.

"Transformation?" You asked, puzzled. "Here, put on the necklace and then say: Quince, fangs out!" Uncle Fu told you.

You took the necklace and attached it around your neck. You then got off the bed and stood up. "Quince, fangs out!" You yelled. Suddenly, Quince dematerialized in a pool of blue light, seemingly travelling into my necklace.

You let it happen, and when the "transformation" was over, you looked into a mirror. You were wearing a light grey bodysuit that was decorated with black leopard prints. You were wearing fingerless black gloves and compact black boots. You also noticed light grey ears on your head and a snow leopard's tail.

"Whoa..." You marvelled at your new appearance, turning to your beaming uncle. "Maomi." He got up from the bed, standing I front of you as Wayzz floated behind him.

"From this day forward, I will train you to fight against the rising evil that threatens us. I will teach you my ways." Your uncle beamed, placing a hand on your shoulder. You sucked in a short breath of air. My wish. You thought.

I'm going to be a superhero!