Chapter 3: A Sucker For Cookies

"This is so fucking hard!" I shouted as I stomped around my throne. "I give up."

"I thought you said you 'don't do giving up'." Lila mocked me as she leaned against my armrest.

"I have dropped as many hints as physically possible. I'm pretty sure I could say it bluntly and he would just look at me in confusion." I raised my hands and dropped them back down. "I don't even think he knows what sex is-."

"Maybe it's because he's a eighteen year old with a five year old's mind." Lila suggested.

"-And if he calls me kitten one more time!"

"Kitten?" My friend raised an eyebrow, an amused smile on her face.

"Ugh, yes, I told him my name and he didn't believe me and told me he would call me kitty or whatever until I told him my real name." I groaned. All of this ranting was making me hungry for souls.

"It's only been two days, give it time."

"But I don't wanna 'give it time'." I huffed in annoyance. I wanted him now. "All this waiting is too hard."

"Well then why don't you go and take him, Kitten?" Lila mocked.

"Fine then, I will." I growled and started to take off to hell's sky. "The moment you find anything on Semis and where he might be. You contact me." I added before I left.

It didn't take long for me to make my way back to Cade's house. I dropped to the ground and changed into my human form. I had barely gotten two knocks on the door before it was pulled open. Cade's eyes sparkled with excitement at my presents.

"Kitty!" He shouted and pulled me into his house.

"I already told you not to call me that." I sighed as he hauled me to his couch to sit. How could I harm the poor cute little human? He was too fucking cute.

"Hello dear," Cade's mother smiled warmly at me. "Would you like some cookies?"

"No- Well, I guess I could take one." I gave in after she shoved one into my hand. They were still warm. Even Satan has a weak side for homemade cookies.

Cade sat beside me, a cookie in each hand and one in his mouth. He finished the one in his mouth before he spoke, "So what brings you here Kitty?"

"I just came to check in on you. You tend to ignore your mother's words and act without thinking." I answered and shortly after I bit off half the cookie. "Would you like to take a walk around the park?" I asked.

"Welly?" He asked, his mouth half full of cookie.

"Cade! Don't talk with your mouth full." His mother shouted from the kitchen. "And don't forget to bring your phone with you."

"How did she hear us from all the way in there?" He asked as he finished his third cookie. "She has super hearing or something, I swear!"

"I also have eyes in the back of my head." Cade's eyes widened at her words causing me to laugh.

"You ready to go?" I asked as I stood and brushed off my pants.

"Yep!" He grinned as he walked backwards to the door. "Can we get some ice cream?"

"If that's what you want. Then sure." I held the door opened for him.

"Cade, tell the poor woman what you want." I groaned. He had practically talked her head off and as satisfying as it was to watch him torture her, I couldn't bare to stand in line anymore.

"Oh, sorry! Mint chocolate chip please." His face reddened as he realized he'd been holding up the line.

"I'll take chocolate." I added before I led Cade to a booth behind a couple handing their child an ice cream.

"Hey, Kitty, can I ask you a question?"

"What's up?" I asked. Taking in how quiet he had gotten.

"Well... do you have parents?" He asked as the waitress handed us our ice creams.

Of course I'd never had parents, the man upstairs had never been one for fatherly love, or really love at all, but Cade didn't know that. "Yeah, of course. Why do you ask?"

"Do they love you?" He glanced hesitantly at me.

"Yeah." Hell no.

"Do you think I'm a bad person?... Do you think I'm not worth keeping?" His voice trembled a little and I wandered where all of this was coming from.

"You're not a bad person Cade. Trust me, I've seen bad and you're nowhere near it. No one would want to give you away." I frowned. Watching him carefully.

"My parents gave me away." If I had been anyone without my hearing I wouldn't have heard him.

Anger bubbles inside me at the thought of the worthless humans who caused My Cade pain. "Then they aren't worth the pain you're letting them pin you with."

"But they always said they loved me-" he stared.

"-But they gave you up." I cut him off, which was apparently the wrong thing to say because as soon as those words left my mouth he started crying. "Shit, Cade, don't cry."

"Don't- don't say bad words." He rubbed his eyes with his sleeve.

"I'm sorry, just stop crying." I groaned. I'm supposed to make people cry not stop them.

"Well, I never thought I'd hear those words come out of your mouth." A familiar voice laughed from behind me.

"Shut the hell up Lila." I snapped.

"Kitten!" Cade huffed from his spot at the table.

"Sorry, sorry." I let out a breath. This was too hard.

"Is hell even considered as a curse word?" Lila asked, making herself at home beside Cade.

"Yes!" Cade Cried, looking at her as if she had stepped on a puppy.

"He is exactly like you described him." Lila laughed, "How did you manage to fall for this kid?"

"I haven't fallen for him I-" I cut myself off before I said anymore in front of Cade.

"Sure you haven't." She laughed.

"You want some of my ice cream?" Cade asked, holding the cone of freezy goodness in front of her.

I wanted him to share his ice cream with me.

"Hell yeah!" Lila took Cade's ice cream and bit a chunk out of it.

"You heathen!"

"What? You offered it to me."

"You-you just sunk your teeth into it!"

"Okay and? Just let me eat my ice cream in peace."

"Hey! It's my ice cream."

"Not anymore." Lila laughed as she placed her hand against Cade's face to keep him from arms length.

"Kitty do something!" He cried desperately as Lila inhaled his ice cream.

I was too busy laughing to do much of anything and for the first time I realized this was the most I had laughed in over a century.

What was happening to me?

••
Semis will make his next appearance in the next chapter. Peace!