16.

16.

I awoke by the fire once again, having fallen asleep after hours of thinking over the whispers I heard from the mouths of the Fae. 'The storm? It wasn't my Glamour that did it, it was her.' After mentally debating the words over and over, I had come to no conclusion to that I had misheard, or misunderstood Alvar's words. I felt something, some strange connection to this place, but it was Glamour that caused the storm, the lightning.

And even if it was me, what did that mean?

"It means you're powerful, Lyra."

The Gryphon's voice was loud in my head, answering my question although I could not see or sense his whereabouts.

"But why does it matter to Alvar so much? Are we really all running from the King now?"

"You must understand, Lyra," The Gryphon could sense my growing guilt, the sinking feeling in my stomach, "Alvar has wanted to get away from the Kingdom for a long time. I believe you just gave him the necessary excuse. And as for the rest of your thoughts, I'm sure all will be explained with time."

"But I don't have time. I need to get home and make sure my family is okay."

"They are fine, Lyra. I flew over about an hour ago. The King has stationed guards and snitches around the house, but your parents are unaware."

Although I could not read his mind, I could sense his discomfort with something, and he deliberately forgot to mention my sister, whom he knew was the most important of them all.

"What is it?" I asked, clenching my necklace.

"Your sister... does she have any special... things? Is she special?" His words were uneasy, like he didn't know exactly what to say.

"She thinks she is a witch." I laughed to myself, before catching my breath and becoming consumed with worry, "Why, did something happen? Did the King take her?"

"No, no. But she saw me in the trees, and she waved." He sounded extremely confused, and I could picture him pacing around and flapping his wings.

"She must know you are not unkind." I smiled tightly, a sudden rush of heat seeping into my eyes.

I blinked rapidly, refusing to give in to the tears of homesickness or the possibility of never seeing her again. I had nearly forgotten about how crazy she used to talk, but after witnessing all I had, it was easier to believe she was indeed gifted. Maybe the walls really did talk to her and the stone she gave me might have actually been spelled. I laughed at the thought, toying with the large rock around my neck and letting it fall onto my collarbone with a hollow thunk.

Wanting to know more about my family, I opened my mind to begin another conversation, but was quickly cut off by the loud stomping footsteps of Alvar and Lucius coming down the tunnel. I wrapped the blanket around myself tightly, warming myself before I faced the coldness that accompanied Lucius' condescending tone.

"We have to go now." Alvar said sternly, like he had to convince himself of the urgency of the situation more so than me. His brows were drawn down as he rushed towards me, reaching for my hands and gently urging me to my feet.

Lucius sniffed, irritated at the both of us, but was unusually quiet. On my feet, my eyes flicked between the two of them, both their forms unusually stiff and withdrawn. I wondered if they had fought, and if I had something to do with it. I didn't want to come between the two friends, knowing they cared about each other more than they would ever admit.