33.

33.

Although the realisation that my doppelgänger plotted my death was frightening, Alvar and I knew that she feared my growing strength. The physical fight wouldn't be won easily. More than that, she feared that even if she did succeed in killing me, she would absorb my personality along side my power.

"How do we even know we are actually stuck here? Whose to say the whole story was made up to get me to agree to the binding." I questioned Alvar late into the night as we lay together on my bed, the spell still cast on our lips.

"No, if it wasn't true this would all be all too easy," Alvar laughed, head propped up on his right hand, "Plus, Beast has already travelled to the portal we came though and all the one major ones. Not a single one was operational."

"So The Anima really did lock us in here with the hopes we would all destroy each other." I clucked my tongue and collapsed back into the pillows, my horns poking holes into the feathered material.

"I don't think she would have sent us here if she knew what The Umbra was planning." Alvar said truthfully, "Speaking of whom, I was beginning to wonder how much influence her power is having over your doppelgänger."

"I assume its much like what I've been experiencing," I shrugged lightly, "She probably feels more connected to her people, but I doubt she's hearing voices in her head. Perhaps she actually had a good relationship with The Umbra before she died and just wants to keep to their friendship."

"I doubt it's that simple." Alvar rubbed his eyes, the fatigue drawing dark circles under his eyes.

"True," I yawned, "But unless you want to ask her, I think we will have to suffer without knowing."

I laughed lightly, imagining the scene from behind closed lids. Alvar began to chuckle, his deep laughter vibrating the bed sheets. We stayed like that for a little while, laughing softly among the softness of the blankets.

"Alvar?" I asked quietly, my hand reaching for his.

"Yeah?" He kissed the back of my hand.

"What am I going to do?"

He squeezed my hand lightly, but remained silent. We stared at the ceiling for a full minute, our breathing matched as we considered all the different scenarios that could fall from our predicament.

"I've never killed anyone before, Alvar. And if that's what it's going to take... I don't know if I can do it."

Alvar shifted to face me, his fingers reaching for a strand of my curly hair.

"Don't think of it as killing a person," He said softly, confirming my theory. It was either she or I. "Think of it as taking back a piece of you. I don't think the wolf will be a problem, either. It's likely he will become part of the essence and power you absorb when you kill her."

"But do I really have to kill her?" My voice cracked as I considered driving a blade through my own heart.

"I know she has lied to us. We know now that the binding ceremony was just a ruse for when she was going to kill you and take your power. But I believe everything else she said was true. We are stuck here unless one of you gains the power to defeat not only The Anima's magic, but also centuries old portals and dimensions. And if we don't get out of here, who knows what The Anima is planning for The First, or even Earth. We can't let your doppelgänger have the power to bring whatever destruction The Umbra has ordered her to complete and we cant let The Anima have free reign back home. Lyra," He shifted closer, finger catching a tear that had slipped from my eye, "I know you are strong enough. You just have to believe in yourself, believe that everything will be all right. I'll be right there with you."