36.

36.

"Lyra!"

Blake's voice sharpened my attention. I lifted my head from my hands and shot my gaze over to the elders rushing legs. I sat in the throne room, gathering together the weapons that the shadows had taken from me days before. The wraiths had been kind enough to return my daggers, but I had a small amount of difficulty re-arranging them inside my clothes.

"What is it?" I raised an eyebrow and stood from my crouch.

"There is one more thing I believe you need to attend to before we leave." He spoke quickly, nervously, and licked his lips.

Frowning, I nodded and quickly placed the last dagger into the strap on my thigh.

"Let's get to it then."

Trailing after Blake, I stared at the passing walls as we made our way up the staircase with a renewed fascination. I would most likely never see it again. The palace did not hold a big place in my heart, but the landscape was beautiful none the less. Never before had I seen glass that absorbed all surrounding light, instead of reflecting it. Everything else in the Shadow Plane was alien, but all the while beautiful and dangerous. And although the shadow people would be travelling with us to the First, I couldn't but dwell.

"He is just through here." Blake gestured to a large black door.

We had climbed to the top most level of the tower, which I knew to be my doppelgängers old living quarters.

"He?" I asked, examining the lock that kept the doors closed from the outside.

Whoever was in there, Blake didn't want them out. I narrowed my eyes in unease and lifted a dagger from my waist. The man inside was dangerous enough to scare a talented magician and I wasn't taking any chances, even with my powers.

"Yes. This man was the ladies... lover, of sorts." I crinkled my nose at his response and cocked my head at the door.

"What makes him so dangerous?"

"He is from the First, Lyra, and a very powerful Fae. He does not know that Ly is dead and it would be wise to approach with caution."

I nodded and flipped the blade in my hands.

"How do I open the door?" I gestured to the lock, which seemed to have no keyhole.

"The stone allows you to access The Umbra's powers. Simply let the power in and touch the lock, it will recognise you as its owner."

"We will have to talk much of these new powers later." I said and then dismissed him, believing the threat perhaps too dangerous for his presence. I didn't need his fighting body, only his knowledge.

"As you wish." Blake bowed and hurried back down the steps. I would monitor his whereabouts later.

"Beast, Noir?" I called for my creatures in my mind as I approached the lock.

"Yes?" Noir answered.

"We are here."Said Beast.

"I am about to see who is behind this door and I have I feeling I already know who it is. Noir, I need you to patrol the ground just in case he makes a run for it and slips past me. Beast, I need you to fly up here and cover the window."

I sent them both an image of the door and the memory of the conversation with Blake. I felt Beast's wings beat as he pushed himself off the ground, although I could not see him. Noir also began to run towards the castle, black smoke curling off his pelt.

With the reassurance that an error would be covered by my soul mates, I breathed deeply and opened my soul again to The Umbra's power. As it was already running through my veins, the power revelled in its release. Surging forwards, I felt my power bind together and extend towards the lock. Carefully, I lifted the metal in my hands and heard a soft click. The metal melted intomy skin. I flinched back in shock and shook my hand frantically. But the metal had been absorbed into my skin. I was right about one thing, Blake and I needed to have a serious chat about The Umbra's power.