Chapter 11: Final Destination

Despite being the last to fall asleep, El wakes up to the feeling of a heavy arm around her waist. She lets out a small smile, loving the safe, warmness she always wakes up with when spending the night with Mike; it's a way she wouldn't mind waking up every day for the rest of - her eyes widen as she remembers the words her boyfriend mumbled in his sleep just several hours ago.

It really shouldn't have surprised her, they've been in love since they were 13 and knew very well they'd get married one day but hearing him actually mutter the phrase made her heart constrict. 

She may not know if she's going to college next year or what kind of job she wants, but she does know Mike will be in her future, no matter what. It was a promise they made to each other on one particularly emotional night and that alone was enough to comfort her of the unknown.

She's brought out of her thoughts when she hears Max grumbling on the couch, "this kid's arm is so fucking heavy."

El carefully moves out of Mike's embrace, turning to see a little frown has made its way onto his pale face. She resists the urge to snort before looking at Max with a raised eyebrow. 

"Having trouble?" she whispers. 

"El, do me a favor and get him off me with your mind please!" 

The girl just giggles and shakes her head, watching her friend struggle to get out of her boyfriend's tight grasp.

After finally just jumping out of the bed, and roughly pushing Dustin's arm to the side, she stomps off towards El. 

"Thanks a lot!" 

The brunette just giggles softly and shrugs, earning a tiny push from her best friend. Max looks at the bedside clock and is surprised to see it reads 9:00 a.m., letting out a dissatisfied groan. 

"So early, it sucks," she begins to say but then her face brightens as she remembers a large poster that was in front of the diner yesterday. "Wait! Breakfast at that place next door is half off 'til ten o'clock, let's go in 15!"

Max runs into the bathroom and El hears the shower turn on before she can even agree to the breakfast plans, deciding to get dressed and leave a note for the boys.

The two girls stroll into the diner and are seated at a small table, giving the old Latina woman a polite smile. 

"You gettin' waffles?" Max asked El as she opened her menu. 

"Are you breathing?" she shot back with a smile. 

The redhead hid her smile with the menu before deciding on a breakfast platter full of eggs, bacon, and sausage.

"So," Max begins after they order, "seems like you had fun at the pool last night." 

A blush quickly spread onto El's face and she covered her cheeks with her hands bashfully. "Shut up," she whispers, "we weren't even doing anything!"

Max gives her a strange look at the hushed tone, "why are you whispering?" El just squints her eyes playfully, giving her a defeated look. 

"It's not like I was saying how you two were about to nail each other-" 

"Max!"

It takes her a good two minutes to halt her laughing at the mortified expression that crossed the brunettes face before simmering as she saw the look in El's eyes. 

"Okay, I'm sorry," she says, sobering, "I was just kidding, you know I'm the number 1 Mileven shipper."

El rolls her eyes at the ship name before biting her lip, unsure if she should even bother sharing about Mike's sleepy proposal. She's almost positive it was just him dreaming, but she can't help the way it's affecting her.