Chapter 15: Date Night

"Ow! Can you stop fucking doing that!" Mike exclaims, pushing Dustin over who was repeatedly smacking the boy's red skin.

"It's so funny! El, look!"

Just as the curly-haired boy raises his hand again to smack her boyfriend's arm, her eyes zero in on his hand and it freezes inches before it can make contact with the red, sunburnt skin.

"Oh c'mon El," Dustin whispers.

The group was back at the beach for their third day, enjoying the hot sun and salty waves of California. They hadn't met up with the other four as of yet, hoping to spot them at some point today.

They were enjoying their time tanning and playing in the ocean with one another, though Mike was starting to suffer from the blaring sun. In spite of the amount or number of times the boy reapplies his sunscreen, he ends up with blotchy red skin that leaves his friends amused.

Max, too, has fair skin but still tans despite the redness and pain she knows will come after her nightly shower. She's laying on her back, eyes closed but ears open and well aware of the altercation going on between her three friends.

"Dusty, I thought you knew by now if anyone even looks at Mike the wrong way, let alone touches him, El's gonna be on their ass." Her boyfriend just lets out a groan, pulling her attention towards him.

"Just look, Maxine!" She leans up and watches as Dustin quickly smacks Mikes back, a white imprint of a hand surrounded by red skin.

"OW!"

The redhead can't help but let out a snort that only increases when El dumps the rest of her water bottle on top of the boys head.

"Jokes on you, El, that felt lovely!" He says, shaking his hair out like a wet dog and splashing her and Mike.

"Oh, my god! You're dreadful, I'm going to join Lucas and Will." Mike exclaims, squeezing El's bare leg before getting up to walk down to the water.

The two boys had rented a paddleboard and were now attempting to master it. Dustin jumps up to join Mike, much to the freckled boy's dismay.

"I wanna learn too! Look how much fun he's-"

Suddenly, they see Will get pushed off the board by a wave and dragged under the water, his limbs flying everywhere.

"What were you saying?" Mike asked, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

Dustin rolled his eyes, shaking his wet hair in front of his friend once more before running off into the ocean. Mike was right behind him, yelling after him like a disgruntled mother with a poorly behaved child.

"Your boyfriend is annoying," El huffs, putting her wet hair into a bun.

Max lets out a snort, pushing her sunglasses onto her head and leaning up on her elbows again to face her best friend.

"Your boyfriend is a whiny nerd."

El's laugh comes out more like a wheeze and she covers her mouth with her hand, "not nice, Max."

The redhead lets out a shrug before a devious smile crosses her face, "speaking of which, are you guys finally going on a date tonight? Dustin told me he claimed the room for it and everything." El lets out a shy smile, looking down at the sand to hide the blush rushing to her cheeks.

"Yeah," she mumbles, "I don't know what we're doing, though."

"Oh, I think I do," Max says suggestively, wiggling her eyebrows playfully.

She gives her a blank stare, "I meant I don't know where we're going."

"Let me guess," Max says turning to face El, "a nice Italian restaurant on the water followed by maybe a quaint ice cream shop, and then, of course, back to the room where he decorated the bed with roses in the shape of a heart with the words 'make sweet love to me' underneath."