Chapter One - Two Opposite Kings

Daniel Howell, the king of Tenebris, hates early morning meetings.  Granted, most people  probably hate early morning meetings, but he seems to hate them more than the average king.  As his advisors and military generals converse and pinpoint locations on a map, Dan lounges back in his seat and watches black magic swirl around his fingers with disinterest.  His magic, a trait that every member of a royal family carries, resembles shadow with little flecks of gold.  He finds himself watching the way the golden flecks catch light and toss it back for just an instant before making way for more to come along and do the same, all the while dreaming of his bed and how much he wishes he could crawl back under his covers and get just a few more hours of sleep.

    His brown eyes flick from his hand to the men and women in front of him, then to the map.  Little flags stick out from the paper, from kingdoms like Viride, Rubellus, Divum, Occultatum, Terra.  Outposts and trading posts and routes are marked as well, adding even more flags.

The general of Tenebris' army, a stout, fierce woman, rests her hands on the table and watches the other soldiers with dark, serious eyes. "We have received no news of any possible enemies, but it is always good to keep an eye out."

    Dan straightens up and observes the map for a moment before leaning his chin on his fist.  "What of our trading partners?"

    "We maintain good trade with several kingdoms.  There is nothing happening that is of concern to us."

    "Excellent.  Is there anything else that needs to be discussed or can this meeting be adjourned?"  The advisors and generals look at each other, and when nobody says anything Dan stands.  "Alright.  You are all dismissed."

    Everyone starts gathering their things and Dan turns, his cloak billowing out behind him as he exits the room.  He strides down the hall, his crown glinting in the early morning sunlight, and slips out through the large front doors of the castle.  Most kings and queens would probably have guards to accompany them, but Dan has always hated the thought of being protected from his own people.  He should be able to walk among the citizens of Tenebris and speak to them without being guarded.

    The late autumn air is cool, making Dan glad he has his thick cloak on.  The fur collar rustles in the gentle wind as he walks through the castle's front gates and into the streets, where the town is starting to wake up.  A child races past with a water bucket, waving to Dan as she goes.  He smiles and waves back.  An elderly man sits on his porch and sips something from a mug, and Dan nods to him as the man raises his glass.  Every greeting he receives is cheerful, and his heart is warmed by it.  As miserable and lonely as he may feel sometimes, at least he has his people.  His advisors often scold him for going out and being among them so often, but he easily waves it off.  He would rather be out in the village than in the stuffy castle with a whole bunch of stuffy people.

    "Hello, Daniel!" Rose, an elderly woman who runs a small tea shop, says as Dan enters her little café.  "Come for the usual?"

    "Hello Rose," Dan replies with a small smile.  "And yes, if you wouldn't mind."

    The woman hobbles off and returns a few moments later with a hot cup of tea.  He thanks her and takes the cup, wrapping his chilled fingers around it and sighing as they start to warm up.

    "Oh, you're already so big, Daniel.  I remember when your mother used to come by when she was queen, and she would sometimes bring you.  Now you're the king."  Rose smiles and pats his arm with all the tenderness of a grandmother.  "How time flies."

    "You look like you haven't aged a day," he replies.

    Rose laughs and covers her mouth with a wrinkled hand.  "Oh my, you make me blush.  It amazes me that you haven't found yourself that special someone yet, Daniel."