Chapter Twenty-Eight - Departures

On the day they have to leave, Phil wakes up early and packs up his and Dan's belongings. He lets Dan sleep a little longer, looking far too cute wrapped up in blankets for Phil to want to wake him up. As quietly as possible he places their individual bags by the door to their room and moves to the bedside, pressing a gentle kiss to Dan's forehead. His eyebrows furrow and he places his hand on Dan's head, his skin feeling far too hot to be normal.

"Dan, it's time to get up," Phil says, his voice gentle as he nudges his partner awake.

Dan groans softly and opens his eyes for a moment before closing them again. "I'm not ready to wake up."

"Are you ever ready to wake up?" Phil teases.

Dan glares at him, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Fair point, Lester."

Dan tosses his blankets off and stands, almost immediately swaying dangerously. Phil stabilizes him, his worry from earlier returning at full force.

"Are you okay?" Phil asks.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," Dan replies, gripping Phil's shoulder with one hand and covering his eyes with the other. "I'm just a little dizzy. It's okay."

"You're also flushed and overheated."

"I'm fine, Phil. Let's just get home and worry about me later."

The king of Divum raises his eyebrows, but says nothing. Dan follows close behind him as Phil grabs their bags and leads the way down to the front gates of Seán's castle. The king of Viride waits by the door for them, impeccably regal and serious. He bids them farewell with a firm handshake and wishes them a safe ride home, and Phil reminds him to take care of himself. That earns a small, faint smile, which is enough to make Phil grin back.

And, with that, they join the caravan of Divian soldiers and servants outside and begin their long trek home.

They spend the entire day riding, and Phil makes sure to keep an eye on Dan. Despite the thick cloak and hood he has on to protect him from the cold air, he still noticeably shivers. By the time they stop for the night, he's slumped over the neck of his horse, eyes closed but not quite asleep. Phil dismounts, hoping that the exhaustion and the shivering is just a side effect of a long day out in the cold.

He approaches Dan, who's still on his horse, and places a gentle hand on the side of his too-warm face. "Hey, our tent is set up. Come on, let's get you into bed."

Dan mumbles something incoherent and slides off his horse's back, leaning heavily on Phil as they head to the tent. When they get inside, Phil strips him of his cloak and boots and passes him some warm pyjamas.

"Dan, are you feeling alright? Because you don't look alright," Phil asks, kneeling in front of him and looking up at him with sincere blue eyes.

"I'm not alright. I overheat and then I'm too cold and I can't stay awake," Dan replies softly. "I think I'm sick."

Phil bites his lip. "We don't have a doctor with us... You'll have to have a checkup in Divum because I can't heal you if I don't know what's wrong with you."

Dan cups Phil's face gently. "Even if you could heal me, you shouldn't. You need your strength."

Phil exhales and leans into Dan's touch. "I guess. You need sleep."

Dan nods and pulls of his shirt, exchanging it for the softer, looser pyjama shirt. Phil hugs him around the waist, his fingers dancing over the scars that line his back like stitches in a quilt.

"I love you," Phil murmurs.

"Love you too," Dan replies, leaning down in order to press a kiss to his head. When he speaks, his lips brush against Phil's hair. "You'll stay with me tonight? I don't want to be alone."

"Of course I'll stay," Phil replies.

Dan smiles and Phil pulls away, letting the king of Tenebris change into pyjama pants and changing into pyjamas himself. Phil makes sure that Dan is tucked into bed before crawling in behind him, wrapping his arms around his midsection and intertwining their legs. Dan hugs his arms close, falling asleep in moments.

Phil is exhausted, but he can't sleep. Dan's breathing is a painful wheeze, and every once in a while he'll cough so violently that he'll wake himself up. He'll murmur an apology and be asleep again in moments, his body craving more sleep than his lungs will allow.

Phil is so worried he could puke.

He can't heal him. If it isn't life threatening, it's not worth the physical strain on Phil. It won't be any better if he can't ride back or worse, gets sick as well because his body doesn't have the energy to fight off an illness. He may hate it, but it's better to get a doctor to look over Dan when they get back in a few days and make a decision then than risk something now.

Black magic swirls around Dan's body, the golden flecks making little spots of light dance on the roof of the tent. His skin is flushed and too hot, yet shivers run through Dan's muscles. It only intensifies the panic that thrums deep in Phil's soul.

They just have to get home. A few more days and they'll be back in Divum with doctors and servants and people that can help. Phil exhales and kisses Dan's neck, pressing just a little bit closer. Dan's magic makes his own magic pulse gently to the beat of his boyfriend's heart, and Phil finally manages to fall asleep.

A/N: I finally updated!  One more exam to go (it's tomorrow) and then it's summer time.  Yay!