Epilogue

One Year Later

Phil strolls into his office, flipping through a stack of letters with pursed lips. He sighs at yet another boring note, leading Dan to look up at him from the couch where he's sitting. A novel sits in his lap, but it's set aside the moment Phil sits beside him. Dan leans over, pressing a kiss to his husband's shoulder as his eyes scan the handful of letters.

"Nothing interesting?" Dan asks.

"Not so far," Phil replies. He shuffles another envelope to the back of the pile, uncovering a letter that makes his eyebrows lift. "Viride? That might be interesting."

He sets the other papers aside and opens the mail from King Seán. Dan reads as well, and simultaneously their eyes widen.

"They found the lost prince of Rubellus," Dan breathes, straightening up in order to look at Phil.

"I thought all of the royals from Rubellus were dead," Phil replies.

"I guess not..." Dan shakes his head a little. "What was he doing in Viride?"

Phil shrugs. "King Seán will probably find that out pretty soon. We'll just have to wait until the Autumn Ball to find out, I guess."

Dan nods and leans against Phil once again, listening to the sound of rain drumming steadily against the window. The fire across from them crackles merrily, the orange glow of the room contrasting heavily with the storm outside. In the castle it's safe and warm, just what Dan likes. He takes a blanket from the back of the couch and covers his and Phil's lap, the two cuddling up next to each other and watching the flames.

All thoughts of lost princes and Rubellus fade away, leaving the two kings to their peaceful lonesome.