Chapter Eleven - Late Nights and Hardened Hearts

Dan sleeps restlessly that night. Despite being told over and over that his execution may not happen, he doesn't quite believe it. It looms over his head like a dark cloud, and no amount of staring out the window and watching the snow fall will get rid of it. He desperately doesn't want to die, and his fear of what could very likely happen has started keeping him up at night.

His eyes open slowly, his body plagued by drowsiness and unfortunately, not sleep. The moonlight shines through the window, brightening his room ever so slightly, and Dan sighs. He's not going to fall asleep again. He has too many thoughts and too many fears to be able to sleep.

He tosses his covers back and pulls himself out of bed, moving across the floor to his window silently. The stars are more vivid here than they are back at home, sprinkling the sky with millions of tiny pieces of diamond. He watches the sky for a long time, thinking of home and his family and his only friend and wondering what they're doing right now. Have they accepted that he's dead? Are they still hanging on to the last hopes that he might be alive? How long does Divum have before Tenebris stands up and fights back?

His thoughts swirl in his mind, and upon accepting that he can't get answers, moves back to his bed. It's warm beneath the covers, and even though he doesn't sleep he still closes his eyes and thinks about what life would be like if things were different.

He drags himself out of bed the next morning to find his breakfast on his desk and his letters gone. A stab of panic travels through him and he nearly tears his desk apart before finding a small note on his breakfast tray, reading 'Someone had to send those letters. Your family deserves to know'.

The servant girl. It must have been her. Dan exhales and pinches the bridge of his nose, a sinking feeling in his gut. Yes, he's happy his family and friends will know how he felt about them and how sorry he is. However, now they'll either think the execution is finished and someone sent away the letters or that the execution is going to happen very soon. Either way, Tenebrisians will be distraught.

Dan settles in his chair and rests his face in his hands, appetite completely gone. He can't stay here much longer. He has to get some sort of freedom or talk to his family in some way. Being locked away in a room until he dies isn't an option anymore. He runs his fingers through his hair and sighs, a plan starting to form in his brain.

~

Phil strides into his office, followed closely by one of his advisors. The morning sun shines cheerfully through his window, but the king doesn't notice. He takes a seat at his desk and folds his hands in front of him, trying his best not to look as exhausted as he feels.

"Sire, I heard that yesterday, you went on a walk with the prisoner."

"I did," Phil replies. "What of it?"

"Your majesty, he is our prisoner. He is not your friend. He is not your ally. He is an enemy king and you must do what is best for the kingdom and get rid of him."

"Ah, that reminds me. I have been considering the idea of disposing of executions all together."

"Sire!" the advisor exclaims. Phil raises his eyebrows and the man takes a deep breath, bringing his emotions back under control. "You cannot do that. The execution of an enemy king or queen is a tradition that is upheld in all four corners of this land and in every kingdom within. To simply get rid of it would be absolutely unacceptable."

"Then what do you suppose I do if I cannot physically get myself to kill him?" Phil demands.

"If you cannot get yourself to kill him, you must do whatever it takes to get yourself to hate him," the advisor replies, his tone cold.

Phil masks his grimace with an indifferent expression and waves his hand. The advisor bows stiffly and exits the office, boots clicking rhythmically against the floor. The moment he's gone, Phil buries his face in his hands and exhales shakily, his stomach churning uncomfortably. He doesn't want to hate Dan, but he also doesn't want his kingdom to turn against him and possibly dethrone him. Hating Dan will be nearly impossible, but he can try.

Phil sighs again and stands, grabbing a few books from the bookshelves before heading up to Dan's room. For the entire walk he does his best to harden his heart, and by the time he reaches Dan's door he feels like he can face him without breaking.

The moment he enters the room, he nearly crumbles. Dan looks up from his spot by the windowsill, white shirt and brown trousers accenting his curious brown eyes and curly brown hair. He smiles a bit when Phil comes in, a small dimple appearing on his cheek, and Phil has to try really hard not to smile back.

"I brought you some books," he says as emotionlessly as possible.

"Thank you..." Dan replies tentatively, one eyebrow raised. "Are you okay?"

"I am fine, Daniel."

Dan frowns. "I told you to call me Dan."

Phil takes in a deep breath. "I am aware of that. I am also aware of the fact that it is terribly informal to call you by that name."

The king of Tenebris leans into one hip, arms crossed over his lean chest. "You're acting incredibly strange. Something is up."

Phil's façade breaks for a second and he desperately scrambles to pick it back up. It doesn't go unnoticed, and the way Dan's expression softens minutely nearly shatters Phil's resolve.

"I have to go," he insists, striding towards the door.

"Phil—" Dan calls, but the king is already gone, leaving him completely dumbfounded.