Chapter Ten - One on One

"So, what's life like back in Tenebris?"

"For me or my people?"

"You."

Dan shrugs and pulls his cloak a bit closer to his body. "That's a hard question to answer."

The two reach the end of the path, where a bench sits overlooking a stunning view of snowy mountains and a deep valley with a river running through it like a crack in the earth. Dan takes a deep lungful of the cold, fresh air, marvelling at the sight below him. Phil watches as well, a small smile on his face. His cheeks are tinged with pink thanks to the cold winter air, and Dan is positive his face is the same.

"I mean, you don't have to say anything if you don't want to," Phil insists, pulling his own cloak a little closer. "If there's something super painful in your past, I won't force you to cough it up."

Dan shakes his head a bit. "It's nothing like that. I have a family and a friend and my life as the king is supposed to be easy."

"Supposed to be?"

"Well, yeah.  It's supposed to be easy. We live among riches unlike all of our people, and yet life is sometimes challenging." Dan shrugs and doesn't meet Phil's eyes.

"We make all of the tough decisions. Of course life won't be easy."

"The decisions aren't what I'm talking about. We've been trained to make decisions and choices that are difficult." Dan sighs, causing a puff of vapour to rise into the air. "Relationships are the biggest challenge of all, and it's something that our people will never truly grasp. I sometimes become jealous of the normal people because they can go out and have fun and build relationships and get married, and for a king even those little things are a big deal."

Phil nods and tucks his hands under the folds of his cloak, where it's warmer. "I completely understand. I have virtually no friends because I feel that nobody can truly be open with me."

Dan looks over at him, a light in his eyes that Phil hasn't seen before. "Exactly!"

Phil grins. "It's good to know you understand."

Dan gives him a small, sincere smile and looks away. "Should we head back? It's getting colder."

The king of Divum nods and they head back down the pathway. They fall into step next to one another, and Phil finds himself daydreaming about how much warmer his hand would be if it was wrapped in someone else's...

He shakes his head, causing Dan to look over with furrowed eyebrows. Phil smiles a bit and Dan focuses his attention on the path ahead again, giving the king of Divum an opportunity to flush red with embarrassment. Way to get caught up in your own thoughts, Phil...

The walk back to the castle is peaceful and quiet. Dan seems lost in his own thoughts, and Phil finds his own thoughts occupied with the king beside him. He seems really young to be a king. Were his parents older when they had him? Did they die and he was forced to take the throne? Did they gladly give up the throne to him?

"How old are you?"

"Hm?" Dan snaps out of his reverie and glances at Phil, a small frown on his face. "How old am I?"

"Yeah."

"Twenty-six."

Phil hums. "So you are as young as I thought you were..."

Dan frowns a bit. "You're young too."

"Not that young."

"Oh come on, you're what? Thirty? That's still young, Phil."

"I guess."

Dan chuckles and rolls his eyes, a smile sticking to his face even when he falls into silence again. Phil grins as well, letting his own thoughts wander once again. The longer he spends with Dan, the less he actually believes all the rumours about him being evil. Phil actually feels quite content in Dan's company, which is something he didn't expect. He expected awkward silences or uncomfortable topics, but it's been the complete opposite. Dan seems to understand Phil, and whenever a silence falls between them it isn't uncomfortable or tense.

Phil dreads their return to the castle.

He knows that the moment they reenter the building, he has to be the king and Dan has to be the prisoner. He has to return to the throne and listen to everyone's thoughts and opinions on what to do with Dan. His people will be happiest when the king of Tenebris is dead. Phil should probably try harder to hate him, but it's so hard. He's taken everything Phil had assumed or believed about Tenebris and flipped it on its head.

He doesn't want to kill him. He doesn't want to command or witness his execution.

"I am guessing I must return to my room. People around here could get quite stirred up if I remained free," Dan says, all formalities returning easily as they enter the castle. Phil's hands and face tingle from the warmth inside, and he rubs his hands together a bit to regain feeling.

"Indeed. I will escort you," Phil replies.

Dan smiles a small smile intended only for Phil and the king of Divum motions for him to follow, a confusing emotion fluttering in the pit of his stomach. The two fall into step with one another and arrive at Dan's room promptly, the king looking hesitant to enter it again.

"I hope to see you later," Dan says before he steps into the room. "Maybe before my execution."

Phil grimaces. "We will definitely see each other again before that, which may or may not happen at all."

"Be honest, Phil."

"I am, Dan."

Dan's expression nearly crumples, but he just manages to keep it together. Phil grips the door handle and takes a deep breath.

"I will see you soon," he insists.

"Bye," Dan replies.

Phil lets the door close, waiting for the lock to click before turning and heading to his office.

In his room, Dan stares at the door for a moment before pressing his back to it and sliding all the way down to the floor, a long sigh escaping his lips.