Chapter Twelve - Escape

Over the next few days, Dan starts working on figuring out how to pick the lock. His magic won't work due to the protection Phil placed on the door the first day he got here, so he resorts to one of the most old fashioned techniques out there. He doesn't have any hairpins or anything like that, so he uses office supplies and a whittling knife instead. He may lose a few pencils, but it's a sacrifice he's willing to make.

After hours and days of tedious work, he finally manages to open his door. He bites his lip to keep himself from openly cheering and slowly opens the door, peering out into the hallway. It's empty, so Dan slips out and starts creeping through the hallways, cloak off so he doesn't attract any unwanted attention. At the bottom of a nearby staircase he can see Divian guards, dressed in their signature blue-tinted armour, so he turns around a goes a different route. This happens a few times, but with the help of stealth and some clever magic to help him blend into the shadows, he can make his way around the castle easily.

He makes a mental map of the castle as he goes, marking in his mind important rooms or staircases that could potentially help in the future. A lot of the rooms are boring, simply spare bedrooms in case there are visitors, but there are some interesting rooms as well. The library is one of his favourites, and he makes a mental note to go there when he's bored.

As he sneaks down the hallway, a pair of guards round the corner. Heart leaping into his throat, he ducks into the nearest room and closes the door without trying to make his haste too obvious. After a few deep breaths to calm his nerves, he turns and looks at the room he stumbled into.

It's undoubtedly Phil's office. A large desk of dark wood sits in front of a window, the light making its glossy surface shine. Bookshelves line the walls on both sides, chock-full of books of every size and colour, and in the centre of the room a small sitting area is warmed by a fireplace. Dan steps further into the room, filled with curiosity, and reaches his desk. In one swift movement, he sits down in his chair and leans back, a happy sigh escaping his lips as warm sunlight hits his back.

He straightens up, and a moment later a middle aged man who must be Phil's advisor comes in, talking a mile a minute.

"Sire, we have some peasants who are waiting to see you, and we are also waiting on your decision regarding—" He stops mid-sentence when he notices that it's Dan sitting there, a devious grin on his face. "Hey, you're not—"

Before he can continue, Dan shoots a strand of magic at him and silences him. A second later, his wrists are bound behind his back and his legs are tied together, causing him to stumble and fall. Dan flexes his fingers, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I am very sorry, Mr. Advisor. I was waiting here for Philip and you unfortunately got in the way. I cannot risk you spilling this to everyone, now can I?"

The advisor attempts to stay something, but his voice is muffled by Dan's magic. The king leans back in Phil's chair and folds his hands in his lap, wanting to laugh for no good reason at all. If his advisor is here, Phil could potentially be coming in at any moment. Dan really wants to have a talk with him.

Sure enough, Phil walks through the door a few minutes later. His eyes widen when he sees his advisor, and almost instantly his gaze is locked onto Dan. The king of Tenebris meets his eyes, a cheeky grin playing on his lips.

"Dan!" Phil exclaims. "What are you... how... you..."

"Honestly, Phil, you lock me in a room and don't visit for days and you expect me to just sit there?" Dan laughs, but the sound is void of any humour. "Don't be ridiculous. I was bound to break out at some point."

Phil grits his teeth, his fists balling at his sides. "Unbind my advisor."

Dan sighs. "Fine, fine. I've kept him long enough."

With a snap of his fingers, the magic that had been holding the advisor in place disappears. He scrambles to his feet, face red with rage, and before he can say a word Phil places a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"I will speak with him."

The advisor splutters, but when Phil's gaze grows more intense he falls silent. Muscles shaking with pent up anger, he exits the room and closes it behind him with a little too much force. Dan watches him go, and when the door slams he flinches.

"That was a bit aggressive, wasn't it?"

Phil throws his hands up. "Who cares, Daniel!? Why did you do that to my advisor? Why are you here!?"

Dan's humour disappears in an instant. "I did that, Philip, because I didn't want him to go get guards that would take me back to my room. I came here because I wanted to speak with you."

"What is it, then?" Phil asks with a long sigh. He seems exhausted, but Dan isn't ready to give him a break.

"You have avoided me for days, and when you did come into my room you were cold and indifferent. I have been left alone for far too long, and it's making me go crazy," Dan explains. He stands up from the chair and moves towards Phil, gaze so intense that the king of Divum actually takes a step back. "I want an explanation."

"I have my reasons for avoiding you, Dan."

The king of Tenebris grits his teeth and takes another step towards Phil. "What, just like you have your reasons for not executing me? You keep telling me that you have reasons, but you won't tell me what those reasons are!"

"They aren't for you to know!"

Dan throws his hands up in the air, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips. He turns and moves back towards the window, pinching the bridge of his nose between his fingers. He takes a deep breath and lowers his hand to his side, facing away from Phil. "I am more dangerous than I appear, Philip. I could send a letter and summon my army. I could break out of my room and kill every guard that gets in my way until I'm free from this castle."

"But you won't," Phil replies softly.

Dan turns to him, one eyebrow raised. "Why not?"

"You couldn't before. If you didn't have a heart, maybe you could, but you do. You're gentle and non-violent and you don't want to kill people. When I brought you here and those guards attacked you, you could have killed all of them easily. You didn't. When we captured you from your castle you could have killed me, but you didn't."

Dan looks away, his heart squeezing uncomfortably in his chest. "You've observed me more than I thought you did."

"It's just something I do." Phil looks at the floor for a moment before looking to Dan again. "Are you alright?"

"No."

"What can I do to help?"

Dan shakes his head a bit, eyes welling with tears. He brushes them away stubbornly, refusing to meet Phil's gaze. "I don't know."

The king of Divum flounders and Dan exhales, turning towards the door of the office. Phil tries to say something, but it gets caught in his throat.

"I'll go back to my room. Give your advisor my apologies," Dan chokes out.

He's gone before Phil can say another word. The moment he gets into the hallway he gets caught by a guard and dragged back to his room, but he doesn't bother fighting it. The treatment he receives is more rough than necessary, but it's nothing he can't handle. A little pain has never broken him before. He tends to his new bruises and climbs into bed, sobbing until his head hurts. And, when his head is throbbing but he's not tired enough for sleep, he curls up in bed and stays there for a long time.