Chapter Twenty-Two - Tortured Mind

Dan and Phil stay there until the sun sinks below the horizon, spraying pinks and oranges across the darkening sky. Dan doesn't want to pull himself away from Phil's warmth, but the wind eventually becomes too biting and the temperature drops too low for sitting outside to be comfortable. Dan pulls himself up and groans softly, his legs aching from sitting too long. Phil stretches his back, earning a loud pop from his spine.

"Your cheeks are so red," Dan says, touching Phil's face with his warm hands gently. He grins, and Phil leans forward in order to catch his lips in a kiss.

"I would be more surprised if they weren't." He takes Dan's hand and nods his head towards their waiting horses. "Let's head back."

Together, they mount their horses and ride back to the stables. When they arrive, they let the stable-boys deal with their animals and head back to the castle hand in hand, leaving footprints in the soft snow. Phil lets Dan's hand go when they get inside, and only takes him into his arms again when they're outside Dan's bedroom door.

"Goodnight," the king of Tenebris whispers.

"Goodnight," Phil replies.

Dan kisses him again and steps into his room. Phil waves a bit before turning and striding down the hallway, his cloak swishing back and forth behind him. Dan watches him go before closing his door, changing into pyjamas, and settling into his bed. Within moments, he's fast asleep.

The whipping post stands in the centre of the courtyard, illuminated despite the darkness outside. Two guards drag Dan towards it, and no matter how much he struggles he can't break free. His knees scrape across the ground as they pull him towards his fate, drawing blood that trickles down his legs.

They throw him to the cobblestone in front of the post, and before he has a chance to pick himself up a whip slashes across his back. It hits hard, tearing into his skin and leaving behind a bleeding gash. The force cripples him and Dan hits the ground, a strangled sob escaping his lips. More and more times the whip cuts into him, blood pooling on the Earth around him as it pours from his mangled back. He screams, tears and drool and snot dripping from his face and onto the cold stone beneath him. The whip hits again and catches the side of his face, cutting a scar from his nose to his ear on the left side of his face.

Then, the whipping stops. Dan sobs with relief and lifts his head to see Phil standing there, hands clasped behind his back. He looks at Dan with cold blue eyes, something so uncommon from the king that a stab of fear passes through Dan's heart.

"He has not served his complete punishment," Phil states, although his voice sounds deep and strange and far away.

"Phil, please," Dan pleads, his voice breaking. He coughs, the sound harsh and ragged, and the king of Divum turns away in disgust.

Then, Adrian steps out of the darkness and into the tiny pool of light surrounding the whipping post. His eyes are burning with anger and disappointment, his arms crossed over his chest.

"You abandoned me, Daniel. You're the worst brother ever!" he spits.

Fresh tears well in Dan's eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave! Please, help me!"

Adrian turns away, a sneer on his face.

Dan's parents, PJ, and Rose all step out of the darkness, all with varying degrees of disgust, betrayal, and hatred on their countenances. One by one, they say their part and turn away.

"You are unworthy of the throne."

"You are not my child."

"Tenebris will die because of you."

"You deserve what you got."

Dan sobs and reaches out for them, but the crack of the whip against his already destroyed back stops him. He collapses onto the ground and gasps for air, vision going hazy. He stares into the darkness and then up, only to see his crown hanging from the whipping post. It's out of reach, the faint light glinting off its silver surface.

Phil steps out of the darkness once again and looks down at him, his shadow blocking Dan's view of the light. "Wake up."

Dan bolts upright, a scream on his lips and cold sweat soaking his aching back. The person sitting on the bed beside him jumps and holds up their hands, which makes Dan flinch and recoil. Tears soak his cheeks, but he barely even notices they're there.

"Dan, shh, it's just me. It's Phil," the figure says gently.

Dan inhales sharply a few times, his entire body trembling. "Phil?"

"Yeah, it's me. Breathe, okay? In and out."

Dan inhales as deeply as he can manage and shudders out the exhale, doing that a few times until his breathing is more steady. His hands tremble, but even that's less panicked than before. Slowly, Phil moves closer and opens his arms. He looks dishevelled and tired, but the brightness in his eyes is still there.

"Do you need a hug?"

Dan watches him, reminding himself silently that this Phil is not nightmare Phil. This is the real, loving king that will never hurt him again. However, it still takes a moment before Dan carefully moves into his embrace and buries himself against Phil's chest.

"Can you tell me what happened? You were screaming bloody murder, and when I got in here you were thrashing," Phil asks, his voice as soft as he can make it.

"Give me a minute," Dan squeaks.

Phil nods and kisses the top of his head, which nearly makes Dan sob. He sniffles, and with his free hand he scrubs the moisture from his cheeks.

"It was just a nightmare," Dan finally manages to say.

"It must have been some nightmare. I've never seen anything like it," Phil replies. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Dan nods, and a second later shakes his head. He's not okay. He's scared, he's hurt, and he wishes he had the words to describe what's going on inside his brain. Phil seems to understand his inability to explain, so he just holds him a little tighter and lies back, letting Dan rest against his chest. The king of Tenebris bites his bottom lip and clenches his hand into a fist to try and stop the shaking, his head tucked beneath Phil's chin.

"We can talk about this in the morning, okay? For now, just try to sleep," Phil murmurs.

"You too," Dan mumbles back.

"Of course."

Phil shifts down so his head is on the pillows and Dan curls against him, his shaking slowly decreasing as he inhales Phil's scent and reminds himself that he's safe. He keeps his eyes open for as long as possible, afraid of what will meet him if he submerges himself in the darkness of his own mind, and listens to Phil's heart slow down as he falls asleep.

And eventually, when Dan can't stay awake any longer, he allows himself to fall asleep as well.