Chapter Twenty-Seven - Meetings and Libraries

After a nice breakfast with Seán and a quiet morning spent wandering the castle grounds, Dan and Phil head to the king of Viride's office for a meeting. As they walk down the hall, Dan squeezes Phil's hand a little tighter and meets the king's blue eyed gaze with his own worried expression.

"I just realized how nervous I am about this," Dan says, his voice quiet. "I've never actually done anything like this before."

"It's okay, Dan. Just follow my lead," Phil replies with a small, encouraging smile.

Dan nods and the two of them enter Seán's office. The king of Viride stands by his window, gazing out as his kingdom, and when the door opens he glances over. Dan can feel the pulses of magic radiating off of him, and they seem to reflect the king's exhaustion.

"Good afternoon," he greets, stepping away from his window. "How was your room?"

"It was lovely, thank you," Phil replies. "How did you sleep?"

Seán waves his hand a bit and pulls out his chair. "Poorly, but that seems to be a common occurrence these days. Please, sit. We have much to discuss."

Dan and Phil glance at each other for a moment before seating themselves across the table from King Seán. He shuffles around a few documents before lacing his fingers together on the desktop, his gaze meeting Phil's.

"First off, how is Divum doing?"

"We had a poor harvest, which caused quite a few difficulties, but ever since we obtained food from Tenebris it has been better. The smaller villages and fiefdoms around the kingdom are starting to liven up again," Phil replies easily.

"Excellent. Viride has also had a shortage of food this year, although I do not think it was as dire as Divum's situation. Everything is running quite smoothly," Seán states. "Is our agreement on military alliance still in place?"

"Yes," Phil answers.

Seán makes a quick mark on one of his papers before looking back at Phil. "And, for the Autumn Ball that is happening in a little under a year, Terra will be hosting. Last year you hosted, and the year before that Occultatum hosted. I believe it is my turn the year after this."

"Wonderful," Phil replies. "I look forward to this next ball and every one after that."

Seán's lips quirk up for a moment before his emotionless façade returns. Worry settles in Phil's eyes, and Dan glances between them for a moment before speaking up. "I want to ally with Viride."

Seán meets his gaze and tilts his head to the side ever so slightly. "Really? Tenebris actually wants to have an ally?"

"Yes. All I would need is military support if a war ever broke out and that is it. We would not require supplies or trade of any kind, so you do not need to worry—"

Seán holds up his hand and stops Dan from continuing to ramble, his eyes twinkling a little bit. "I understand, King Daniel, and I accept your offer. I would be honoured to ally with Tenebris."

Dan grins and reaches out, shaking the king's hand. After a moment their individual magic, green like smoke and black like shadow, start swirling around each other and their arms, heading straight for each king's mark. Dan's raven wing insignia burns and glows about as bright as black can while a small, glowing shamrock is visible from beneath Seán's shirt, right over his collarbone. After burning for a few seconds, the pain fades away and they let each other's hands go.

"Is that what everyone does after agreeing to an alliance?" Dan asks.

Seán nods. "It is a bit more permanent than a piece of paper."

Dan smiles and touches his fingers absentmindedly to the mark on his wrist. Phil smiles as well, his hand resting on Dan's knee. "Is there anything else we must discuss?" the king of Divum asks, looking to Seán.

The Irishman shakes his head. "I believe that is all. Your trip here was always intended to help build relationship more than it was about heavy politics. Now, I must deal with some minor issues among my citizens, so if you so desire the stable, library, or pretty much everywhere else in the castle is available to you."

"Thank you, Seán," Phil says.

"You are very welcome, Philip," Seán replies easily.

The three kings stand and together, they head out of the office. Seán breaks off and strides towards his throne room while Dan and Phil head in the opposite direction. Their fingers intertwine almost immediately, and without a word Dan allows Phil to lead him to the library. Hidden among the large bookshelves is a small, secluded reading nook, perfect for two kings who want to get away from everyone else, and thankfully they're the only ones in the library. Phil settles into one of the chairs and pulls Dan down onto his lap, running fingers along Dan's jaw and pressing a kiss to his lips. The king of Tenebris kisses back lazily, holding Phil close as his fingers tighten against his shoulders. When they part, Dan cuddles against Phil's chest and lets his eyes flutter shut, his fingers lightly gripping the collar of Phil's shirt.

"Feeling a little tired, Dan?" Phil asks, a small smile accompanying his gentle teasing.

"I don't know how I'm this tired if it's only the early afternoon," Dan murmurs back.

"Maybe you didn't sleep well last night. You can nap on me if you want."

Dan mumbles his agreement, and it only takes a minute or two before he falls asleep. Phil threads his fingers through his hair, playing with the soft tendrils absentmindedly as he reads a book from a nearby shelf. Dan's forehead feels a bit too warm against Phil's chest, but he brushes off the worry that tries to creep into his heart. He just needs rest.

Everything is okay.

A/N: I'm so sorry for not updating sooner.  Exam studying, work, and more are all simultaneously roundhouse kicking my ass, so just be patient with me.  I know you guys are really good at that :)