(1) The End of One World and the Continuation of Another

WARNING: Major Death Cure Spoilers

Thomas stood out on the shore and watched the ocean

Thomas stood out on the shore and watched the ocean. The Safe Haven was still silent in the early morning hours, the many immune were still asleep after celebrating their freedom the night before.

Thomas was not worried about having so many young adults trying to start a new world. Since most of the immune were put through the Maze Trials, he doubted that they would have a hard time forming a peaceful, hard working community from scratch— especially when life was considered such a precious blessing.

You can't save everyone, Thomas.

That is what kept running through his mind over and over again. He hated those words. Hated them. Because that was his fault. He could never walk away from those he loved. He could never except the fact that maybe, maybe he couldn't save anyone. Thomas hated the fact that he wasn't enough.

But I can try.

He hated that too. Because he did try. Over and over again but he still lost so, so many that he cared about.

He tried to save Chuck, but in the end, he was not enough. And Chuck died because of him. Standing on that beach, he mourned how Chuck died without a single memory of having a family.

He tried to save Newt and unlike with Chuck, he had the chance of doing so well within his reach. But fate was cruel and death was permanent. In the end, neither of them knew it, but it came down to a fight to the death. And Thomas was the only one to walk away. Standing on that beach, he thought of how Newt had survived an attempted suicide by jumping from an insane height, yet he died with a knife in his chest with the boy that was supposed to save his live.

(A/N: here is a deleted scene from Death Cure where Newt talks about his he got his limp. It's very sad and talks of suicide so fair warning)

Tommy, I would follow you anywhere.

If it wasn't the only thing left that he had to remember Newt by, Thomas would have thrown away that letter and tried to forget that it ever existed.

Lastly, Thomas tried to save Teresa. And maybe he had, in a way. But then she saved him and died in the process. He still had the cure in his hands, turning it back and forth in his fingers. So much death, so many lives sacrificed in order to find a cure and he held it within his veins the entire time.

Standing on that beach, he thought of how he could never grow old with Teresa, all because of this one tiny vial.

Reflecting on everything, Thomas realized that the small vial in his hand was the byproduct of all three of those deaths because they all died saving his life. Chuck jumped in front of a bullet for him, Newt took the knife so Thomas wouldn't have to, Teresa saved Thomas and because of that, she didn't have enough time to save herself.

And it ended with a small tube of blue liquid, now useless to him.

You can't save everyone, Thomas.

To him, it seemed the only one he ever saved was himself. The vial in his hand could save a life, but now there were no lives to save.

"What a joke," he muttered as he took one last look at the object before he chucked it into the ocean in front of him.

Standing on that beach, Thomas decided that he was done moping because he wasn't going to waste what they all gave him; a chance to live.

So he took one last look at the waves and then he turned to return to the others.

Standing in his way was a man. His appearance made Thomas panic because he thought it was a Crank. But no, this was something else entirely.

Thomas fell back on the sand in fear and confusion

Thomas fell back on the sand in fear and confusion. Why did it seem familiar? Why was it at the Safe Haven? What was it?

A Ghost Rider.

Thomas had no idea where he got the name, but as soon as it popped into his head, he knew that was what was standing above him.

Thomas sat petrified as the Ghost Rider pulled a gun out from his hip-holster. This couldn't happen, Thomas knew that he was about to die and he couldn't allow that. Not after what he just decided.

So he ran. He tried to get away as fast as he could. Thomas had two thoughts, don't get caught by the Ghost Rider, and draw it way from the camp.

Thomas entered the tree line in the opposite direction of the camp and he kept running. He ran for a good ten minutes before he had to stop due to the his bullet wound that was still healing. It was burning like hell.

He held his side as he released some labored breaths. He tried to listen for the Ghost Rider but all he could hear was a bird in the distance and his own erratic heartbeat.

Until he heard a click right behind him. Thomas did not like how much it sounded like the hammer on an old gun.

He turned around to find the mussel of an old revolver pointed right at his face and the owner of it with their finger tightly around the trigger.

Bang.

*******************************

Hey, guys so this is just the start! And don't worry; that gun did not mess up Thomas' beautiful face ;)
Hope you enjoyed!
Vote, Comment, Ask Silly Questions,
Laine Abson
02•04•18